training/practice ammunition

K

katokoch

Maybe you do practice with Lapua Midas or Eley Tenex, but after looking there are lots of less expensive ammunitions made for training or club shooting. I completely understand that every rifle is different and some will like totally different loads, however are there some that are indeed consistent and shoot well in most rifles? (thinking of Wolf Match, Eley Standard, Eley Target Rifle, Lapua Super Club, Remington/Eley Target, CCI Green Tag, etc... the general $5-10/box of 50 range).

I found some SK last year that grouped as well as the Eley but you would get the occational dropper. The droppers were obvious and made it unacceptable for competition but for training it was fine. I could tune with it and practice with flags with equal results of the good stuff as long as I could forget about the 1 in 100 that was an inch low.

I am having good luck with an old lot of Eley Practice. I have also heard good reviews of eley standard and lapua super club.

Good Luck

in your search for ammo. I have done well with Lapua Master M and Eley Team. Wolf doesn't seem to shoot very well in my rifles and none of the CCI offerings were acceptable. I'd try a couple of boxes of several different brands and speeds and see which of the cheapest ammos shoot well. Eley and Lapua are pretty consistent.

I agree with Don

BUT!!!!!...if it doesn't group as well...and the flier is not obvious....you are simply wasting time and money practicing with anything less than the best you can find.

Is measuring rim thickness worth my time?

That and... any good places to find the stuff online?

Practice Ammo

Give Dan a try over at http://www.killoughshootingsports.com/

He's got some Eley Club and it shoots pretty good and the price is right. I've been working getting it matched to my rifle and shot a 2025, 2025, 2175 with some this past weekend and only my second time out shooting ARA, for that matter any competition, so it was rifle and ammo for sure.
The funny part is that my thoughts were to get some Club for practice, and Match for competition and I've yet to get any Match dialed in that's better than the Club. Right now I'm going to be shooting the Club but will have some Match as backup if the condition is there. Too new to the game to understand but got some great folks helping me.

Les

Last edited:
Lapua Superclub

Try a few test lots of Superclub if you can still find any (try Champions). I have some thats like shooting hi-end Eley except for the occasional flyer and is great for practice. Just be sure to buy a few test lots first to see if your gun likes it. We have shooters at our club that shoot cheap ammo and they all weigh it to cull out the occasional flyer that can really hurt your scores.

Back