Too tight neck-is it dangerous?

B

bluechip

I have a 6ppc with a .262 neck chamber. My custom bullets are almost .001 smaller than some off the shelf Hornady's that I was planning to use to complete my fireforming. With the Hornady, the loaded case neck mike's out at .2615. There is only about a half thou neck clearance. Could this cause a pressure problem?

This has not caused a pressure problem in my experience. I would still monitor them over the chronograph myself because I'm really anal about my fireforming.......... if the bullets ARE swelling enough to cause minor pressure fluctuations then you'll have inconsistently formed cases. Not dangerous, just inconsistent.

And consistency is the watchword for accuracy.

I weigh my fireforming charges.

Others will of course disagree strongly, call me silly, as is their right. Some will even slobber their cases and chamber with oil or wax!

Differ'nt Strokes.......

al

Just my ignorant farm boy opinion but I don't think there is such a thing as a too tight neck being dangerous. If it's that tight, you probably cannot chamber it. If it chambers, the bullet can still be released, even with zero clearance. Just simple physics.

Again, JMHO

Ray

As Hovis stated, "you're OK" but I don't think that's enough to keep you out of trouble day in, day out. "Trouble" defined as anything from errant shots to blanked primers.

Perfectly OK for fireforming but not enough to "run with".

Just my ignorant farm boy opinion but I don't think there is such a thing as a too tight neck being dangerous. If it's that tight, you probably cannot chamber it. If it chambers, the bullet can still be released, even with zero clearance. Just simple physics.

Again, JMHO

Ray

I don't disagree at all within the range of "dangerous", but within that line of thinking is the premise that all involved would stop right there if a round were difficult to chamber. I saw a fellow at Fairchance (nationals way back when) using a delrin "cheater" to get his bolt handle to start closing. Once he got it started he would pound it the rest of the way with his fist. Thing is, the cheater was made just for that purpose.

The hot setup would be a seater die cut to prevent seating a bullet if the neck clearance were inadequate. If you had such an animal, you could go 'round swapping bullets, digging out old cases in a bind, etc.. without a second thought.

. . .I saw a fellow at Fairchance (nationals way back when) using a delrin "cheater" to get his bolt handle to start closing. Once he got it started he would pound it the rest of the way with his fist. Thing is, the cheater was made just for that purpose.. . .

We used to call that a Texas Tight Neck.

Ray

All I can say

Is that I, at one time tried some fitted necks. Worked ok for the most part but was a lot of work. If I did not re-turn between relays, I not only got flyers but also pierced primers.and had to remove the firing pin at the bench on ocasions. I gave that up a long time ago. My new reamer is 1.500 and if I dont keep the cases trimmed, I get the same thing. My guess is that a half a tho is ok for fireforming as long as they are trimmed enough.

Guys, i think some of you are missing the boat a little. he is only using the fatter bullet for fireforming and then will go back to his match bullet and his clearance will be almost .0015 and that is perfect for match shooting.

Shoot the damn fireforming loads and then load as normal.....no problems. Expect a few fliers the second loading....third time....cases straight as a arrow.

Hovis

Next question: Is it accurate? Quick answer: No. Next question: Does it help you in loading faster? Quick answer: No. Last question: What do you have against turning a half thousandth off the neck? Awaiting your answer:

Hovis got it right, with my match grade bullets the neck (loaded) is .2605, or a thou and a half clearance. I don't like to waste my best bullets for fireforming, so the first ones I bought at a local gun shop were a thou bigger, hence the tight clearance, which seems to be okay.

Bluechip, Most .262 reamers will cut slightly larger than .2620. If you can, actually measure your neck diameter with a small hole gage.
You might be surprised.
Gene

For what it's worth, I have quite a few tight necked chambers. If your loaded round neck is .2615 in a .262 neck then you are playing with fire. In a .262 neck my loaded round neck is no more than .260. Has anyone ever seen an accident???? I didn't think so. With a .260 I have a .001 clearance all the way around and that is CLOSE. Now if you don't care be my guest and touch'em off. As for me I only have 2 eyes and 1 brain, I plan on keeping all for a long time. I had one blow up and got lucky, I was doing what you are thinking, you were smart enough to ask the question, if in doubt my error would fall on the safe side.

Sorry to disagree with Dave, but I have never seen a pressure increase from a neck with .0005 clearance. Now personally I shoot around .002" minimum clearance because I see no need to run them any tighter. I have fired a few rounds where the necks were to thick, and a bright ring could be seen at the point where the pressure ring of the bullet made the neck a press fit. This could even be felt when closing the bolt, but still no major increase in pressure.

My concern is "why" is there .001" difference in the bullet diameter between the Hornady and the custom bullet. Does the Hornady measure .244" (.001" over), or does the custom bullet measure .242" (.001 under). Now I know it could be more like .2425" vs .2435", but my question is does the custom bullet fit the barrel groove dimension very well? I personally like to see the pressure ring measure at least .0003" over groove diameter, and the shank measure at least groove diameter.

Michael

Last edited:
I too have never seen a factory Hornady or any other commercial bullet that was fatter, than the compression ring on any of the many different custom made match bullets that I have shot! sounds like maybe your Hornady's would be better for match day than your "match bullet's" ?? :confused: But I wouldn't worry about over pressure!

This sorta' brings back memories for me

(I'm all misty eyed :D )

My very first post here on this board was 'Do bullets obdurate in the neck?' and Dan Hackett jumped on me with both feet that "It's OBTURATE you idiot!" and we went on from there :)

good times, the old board...... back when men were flamers and da' sheeps were edgy alla' time....

Dan Hackett, My Tinker Toy friend Shelley friggin' Davidson, Frank Murphy, Skip Otto..... now Davey Dohrmann and Jay McMunn....it's pissin' me off! Why all the passionate ones??

Ahhhh RIP guys..... you gave us a lot before you left us.

al

Back