Time limit and type of rest/bags

D

Dwight C

First,
Thanks to all of you for your interest and responses to my basic questions. I know new guys can get old and boring quickly.

As some of you know, I'm trying to prepare to be competitive next season.
I'm struggling to make the 20 min. limit. I'm still using an old non-adj. frt. tripod and a std. rabbit ear bag in rear.
To traverse the card, I move the rear bag between shots.

So, I am still trying to decide on a frt rest.
Here is my question, is a joy-stick rest faster, and easier to settle for the next shot, than a rest with individual dial windage and elevation.

I am considering the Greenlaw and the new Sinclair Heavy Varmint adj w/ BR top. These are in the $400. price range.
But, I want to get a rest I will be satisfied with initially.

Really feel the need for more experienced feed-back to make a wise choice.

Oh, I have the BKL 1" double strap rings, and the T 36 should be here today, from Killough. ($380)

Thanks again for all the help. I will need more. HA

Later,
Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I think choosing a front rest is a very personnel thing, a bit like choosing your vehicle; it depends on what you want to use it for.

If you will be mostly shooting air rifle indoors at 25 then the Bald Eagle type of rest (and its derivatives) will do you fine (and will also stand you in good stead outdoors). As far as I’m aware none of the joystick rests will cover a 25 world target, so you will have to shuffle your rear bag midway through your target at this distance, which to some can be unsettling.

Personally I prefer the joystick rests for 50m, as you correctly point out they are faster to adjust from shot to shot and to come off target (and get back on) for a quick sighter if needed.

The Sinclair you mentioned (or similar) would be a good step up from what you are presently using, couple that with a decent (Edgewood) rear bag and you are good to go.

The 20 minute rule is a bit of a problem. It’s fine for the experienced shooter, most of whom can clear a target in 9 to 12 minutes both at 25 and 50 (in reasonable conditions). The problem lies with those such as yourself who are new to the game and the older or disabled shooters who maybe cannot get around as quick as they might like. But that is for each country/organisation to decide whether its going to get implemented.

The BIPM World Postal will stay at 30 minutes for the foreseeable future, for the same reason we changed to the .224” scoring gauge, it covers all eventualities.

Brian

Seeing Brian say that about the BIPM staying at 30 minutes means most of the U.S. matches will probably remain as such since the next time we'll be focusing on anything WRABF related will be when preparing for the Worlds in 2015. Although, I shouldn't be speak for all Range Masters, just Pinnacle Mountain and probably Holbrook MA and Salem N.Y. Of course, that is unless something else comes down the road which changes things altogether.

I know DanB uses a SEB(?) Joystick at 25Y and seems to love it, and I've never noticed him doing anything to move his rear bags around during a match. I'd check with him, but he's off to Texas to compete at the FT Nationals right at the moment, so he'll be unavailable for awhile.

Dave

I know DanB uses a SEB(?) Joystick at 25Y and seems to love it, and I've never noticed him doing anything to move his rear bags around during a match. I'd check with him, but he's off to Texas to compete at the FT Nationals right at the moment, so he'll be unavailable for awhile.

Dave

Dave,

I had one of the original SEB rests some time ago and that certainly wouldn’t cover a 25 card, but I can’t speak for the newer models as I’ve never used one.

The joystick rest I presently have is pretty much a copy of the Farley and that will cover the left hand sighters and four columns of targets, doable with a shuffle, but not ideal.

Having said that I managed a 250 25x in 25 indoor rimfire with it at the weekend – guess what, I’d already shot my BIPM cards :(

Brian

20 minutes

is plenty of time. You just need to get used to it.

For a standard rest and bag set-up, try starting at the bottom of the target and going up the column.

That way you do not have to move the rear bag nearly as often.

Kevin Kunkle

Kevin,

That's the way I usually shoot my cards anyway after Inez Myers suggested it. Sometimes, if I get boar or there's a lot of activity happening behind the line, I'll start with the lower left, shoot across the bottom, up the right side, across the top, then down the left, and so on. It helps to keep you on top of your game. Or, that's what I think. Hey, whatever works for you, keep doing it.

Dave

Dwight the Randolph Machine Rest is quick and covers the whole target, a joy stick rest is probably even quicker and I am pretty sure the newer version of the Shadtree Top covers the whole target now too. Have a try of both if you can and then see what suits you.

Adjustable Front rests available

Dwight,
Members of our club have 2 great adjustable front rests available. Both are Bald Eagle. Send me an email at mhopkins2@charter.net if you're interested.
Mike Hopkins
Grants Pass, Oregon

Dave

I've heard that if you set the SEB up so that column 5 is in the middle of the windage range, it will cover the whole card.

I have the new SEB rest and it will cover the target at 25y. You must remember it is not just the front rest that determines target coverage but the spacing of the rear bag is a factor too.
Dan

Dwight,

FYI: I know that by now you've probably already gotten a new rest, but thought I'd forward along that I was looking through the pages of the American Rifleman and saw an add for Grizzly Industries, Inc. at www.grizzly.com, who by chance have taken over making the Blad Eagle Rest. To see what they have to offer, after opening their website click on the Product Manuel, then click on the part number for the rest you think you'd like. It looks as though they have improved them by moving the windage adjustment down to just in front of the rear post, plus they still come in either Cast Aluminum (±11#) or Iron (±20#), and run between $350 & $375 respectively. Not that I'd give up my Randolph rest for anything, but now I'm thinking of buying one of these (the Cast Iron model) with extension legs to have as a spare.

Dave

Hi Dave, no I haven't decided which way I want to go yet, with the frt rest.

I'm spending a significant amount of money for me, trying to get set-up all at once.

I want to go slow and carefully enough that I get something I will be content with for a good while.

It's a little frustrating having to select this specialized equip. on line, sight-un-seen.

Unless, I decide to just go for broke, and say, "heck with the cost", I'm leaning toward the D R Greenlaw
style A rest.

I really appreciate you getting back to me. I will look at the new Bald Eagles at Grizzly.

I do wish more veteran BR shooters would chime in. I'd really like to eliminate as many rookie mistakes as possible.
But, i'd like to do it without spending a grand + on a frt rest. LOL

Thanks again Dave,

Later,
Dwight

Last edited by a moderator:
Dwight,

A joystick will always be faster than your standard rest. I"ve used different ones and do not care to use them, they can be finicky when getting precise on your hold-off, they take getting use to, some may not cover the target at 25m. A normal front rest like the bald eagle is okay but feel they are lacking in speed, to much back and forth from wind-age to elevation. JMHO

The Randolph machine rest in my book is ideal, it's fast, both controls are right there side by side, it will accommodate different width forends, it will cover your target at 25m and the base of the rest stays level when operating, features I like but's it's not cheap.

We had folks shooting here with different rests and joystick rests, after they used a Randolph rest they all switched over and are happy they did.

Regards,
Joe

Hello Joe, Thank a lot.

That's the kind of feed back I was looking for.

I think I'll let it rest a while, and wait until I can comfortably turn loose of the cash for Randolph prices.

I'm still experimenting and learning with varying bag set-ups.

Of course I'll continue to look and listen for additional info about frt. rests.

Appreciate your time and thought.

Later,
Dwight

I have the new SEB rest and it will cover the target at 25y. You must remember it is not just the front rest that determines target coverage but the spacing of the rear bag is a factor too.
Dan

The spacing of the rear bag is to be understood as the distance between the frontrest and the rear bag?

Joe,

Excellent comments!

Dwight,

I agree with Joe 100% as that's exactly why I too have been using one for over 13 years. And good decision on waiting until you have the money to buy a Randolph. Why start with 2nd best, then want to upgrade later when you can go right to the top. As I said in my earlier response: I'd like to buy a Bald Eagle as a backup/loaner rest, but in no way would it replace my Randolph.

Dave

Back