Threading a rimfire receiver

jaybeejr

Hi All,
Got bored and scattered my Remington 541THB on my workbench to do a little accurizing on it. Got a Eley EPS reamer to setback and rechamber the factory barrel and add a Remington style recoil lug, gun always did .5 or smaller with several kinds of ammo in the past, so I want to give the original barrel a shot to see what it will do. I'll be adding the second action screw also.

First step is to thread the receiver. So I am kind of looking for recommendations on what 3/4" pitch to use 16, 18 or 20. I'll be single point threading it anyway.

Main Problem I have is what to do about the original factory barrel pin holes in the receiver? I do not trust myself to weld them full, so I am considering making some filler pins and silver brazing them in place before boring and threading the receiver.

I would like to hear an opinion from someone who has addressed this problem before and how they handled it.

I know I could ignore it and probably go ahead and thread it, but my conscience would bother me because it just doesn't look right.

Thanks

You can thread it to any pitch you like using. Thats the beauty of starting over. Id say go with 18 just cause thats in the middle of what you thought. As far as welding or brazing the holes- not me but simply because i wouldnt want to refinish it.

Jay, don't worry about the holes. I have thought of filling them in before myself, but never have. It will turn out just fine at 16-20 tpi. I use 16. Also I wouldn't go out to .750 on the major. You could clean it up and face it but thats all I would do. It's pretty thin already.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input everybody. I glad you talked me into leaving the pin holes alone. I didn't want to have to reblue it either, though I thought I might get by with the Sta-Silv on the pins and not mess up the finish above the stock line.

As far as gluing one in goes, it just isn't for me. If I didn't have the capability to thread it, I wouldn't have drove the pins out in the first place. The rifle always was a good shooter just the way it was.

Thanks M Tackett, you were reading my mind. I'm kinda anal about sticking to conventional thread sizes and since this one fell in between I was really considering just making it custom instead of taking any more meat out of the receiver than I had to.

Chances are no one will ever know but me, while I still alive anyway. I only ever sold 2 guns and regretted both of them later. I still have my first 22 Dad gave me for Xmas in 1964.

I have a 10.5# rimfire benchrest rifle that Bill Myers built for his wife Inez a few years ago. It is on a Sako action. Bill threaded the action, then with a slitting saw, split the threaded portion of the action, then drilled and tapped two holes for clamp bolts. This gives the ability to adjust the headspace or different lots or brands of rimfire ammunition.

Jerry,
I like the idea, but the Remington receiver is no where near thick enough wall to get screws thru it and still be outside the threads of the tenon, at least any screw bigger than came out of a watch. Unless the barrel tenon was slotted for them. Did Bill weld bosses on the receiver for the clamp screws?

A Sako .222 (L461 I Think, about 20 yrs ago) was one of the 2 guns I ever let someone talk me out of and I don't remember that receiver being very thick either.

I recently bought a Remington custom shop 547T and was a little more than disappointed that Remington used the clamp system to hold the barrel on it, a $1300.00 22. I've only had it a few months.
I usually have to let the new wear off before I start tinkering with them.

I welded and threaded a 541T before. It was a lot of unnecessary work in hind sight. I'd leave the holes. Just a thought on the pitch - a 3/4-16 is a common thread so if for some reason you needed to chase the threads there are taps readily available.

Back