Threading a reciever

30xs

I am thinking about rebarreling a Savage MKII and was wondering if there would be much of a benefit, to the accuracy, if I had the reciever threaded instead of the press fit the is currently on it? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks. Tim

It is a bit of a pitn to do it right but after that fitting bbls is very simple. I have a Savage Anschutz that I threaded.

Should it improve the accuracy of the rifle? How many rimfires use a recoil lug? I know that the Savage has one but if I am going to thread the reciever I thought about making a recoil lug for it in the process. Would it be of any help on a rimfire? Sorry for all the questions just trying to cover the bases before I start the build.

You will have to make your own mandrel and the sleeve for the front ring so the steady rest will have a true place to bear against.

If you use a bbl blank that is better than the factory one AND if you do a good job of threading the rec and squaring the front face AND if you do a good chambering job AND you put the crown at the right place in reference to the choke THEN it should be more accurate than it was as it came from Savage.

Some people use recoil lugs on rimfires and some don't.

From an engineering standpoint you will get the stiffest joint between barrel and receiver if you thread it This is due exclusively to the shoulder pulled up tight. You have the bending resistance of the full barrel and receiver diameter, as compared to just the diameter of the tenon with the press fit. An advantage of the press fit joint is probably the possibility of better concentricity and alignment. It's also cheaper and easier to make.

A recoil lug would make movement of receiver relative to the stock less likely as compared to just action screws. However, a well fitting and tight screw in sleeve or pillar would probably be as good as the recoil shoulder.

The advantage of any of these features is questionable in a rim fire. What really makes a difference between guns is the SIZE of the various parts, that is, the size of the receiver, barrel, action screws, and stock. The loads and forces generated in a rim fire are so low that there can't be much difference with which ever construction you go with. Proof of this is the best guns are built in each of the different manners.

FWIW
I build quite a few of these. Some guys just want something different, or make it the best it can be. In this price range one action varies a lot in tollerences from another. The only bolt recoil lug is the bolt handle itself. There is no bolt guide to help support the front of the bolt. They can be a bit sloppy.
I always recomend that if a customer wants to get into entry level competition, start with a rifle that has dual recoil lugs on the bolt. The CZ 452 American for instance has dual lugs and a front bolt guide. The work costs the same either way you go.
All that said my daughter shoots pretty well with her 925 Marlin with only a Green Mountain Barrel. It will shoot in the low .2s".
Kim

Threading a receiver

Is there any detailed instruction available on how to thread an Anschutz receiver of the 54 model.
sincerely
Filippo

The

CZ 452 already has aq threded barrel. If one were to set the barrel back and have a tight match chamber reamed, you may or may not gain enough to pay for the work. Now a better barrel fited with the match chamber should make considerable difference. Or locktite a barrel in the Savage as border recommends in the Anschutz. If you want a real benchrest rifle, better talk a
smith who builds benchrest rifles. Max

Back