Thoughts on Ruger GP100 .357 Mag

The GP100 is a nice gun. Ruger has made them for several years. I trust that you have shot a .357Mag and done well with it on standard targets. If not you can use .38 Special for practice. Even better.....if you hand load you'll find cast hand loads a pleasure to start out with. You haven't mentioned the purpose of the gun...this would determine if you're making the right choice. Good Luck!

Ted

Well being I am in Canada and the only place we can LEGALLY shoot is at a range it would just be for plinking at the steel plates. Not much else than that. The nice thing about 6 shooters is NOT going through the ammo as quickly and the versatility of being able to shoot 38 Special through it as well. I do not have a Dillon for loading at this time but access to one till that time. BR first then fun time at the range.

I have nothing against Rugers, but pay just a bit more and get a S&W 686. It won't need a trigger job, and is easier to look at as well. Both Company's have very good customer service, should you ever need it.

Last edited:
The good thing about the Ruger is they are rugged, bad thing is a lousy trigger.
Being a benchrest shooter I assume you like accuracy as well as asthetically pleasing, buy a S&W 686. 20% more money at least 100% more gun.

Thanks for the comments. There is one issue with the 686 that makes it prohibited in Canada. The 4" barrel. Hand guns need to have barrels longer than 4.14". As I am unable to possess a prohibit due to our lovely gun laws it appears to be out of the question. Restricted which is over the4.14" I can possess.

The S&W 686 comes in a 4 inch or 6 inch barrel. As does the 686 plus, a seven shooter.

Okay fellas anyone own one or thoughts on them??????

I am looking at one in SS with a 6" Barrel. The use of handguns up here in Canada is quite a bit different than in the US. I like the look of it but wonder if there is anything to watch out for.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html

Thanks in Advance.

Calvin

I owned the one you are looking at for several years. I bought it mainly for the tapered muzzle because I thought it looked good. It shot decent and would allow very stout loads to be used. My main gripes with it were a horrible double action trigger (single wasn't that great either) and all six of the chambers were oversized bad enough that brass out of that gun wouldn't go in any of my other guns very well.
I eventually sold it and bought a S&W Mountain Lite and I like it much better. Smoother action, better trigger, better timing, and regular sized chambers.

If all you are going to do is plink, get a S&W 617 cheaper to shoot and just as much fun.

I've got one with a 3" barrel in my nightstand loaded with 38 cal hollow base wadcutters seated with the open ends out.
Revolvers don't jam!!

Last edited:
Thanks fellas I got what I wanted to hear. Looks like the 686 it is. It is a very nice looking piece. The only reason I asked about the GP100 was our local shop has a few in stock so I could just walk in and out. With the S&W I will have to order.

I actually just found out last night that S&W was or is making a 686 for the Canadian market with a barel just over 4" that meets our gun laws. Will have to see what the wait time is for it or will just go with the 6".

I have a Buckmark that is fun, cheap, and accurate as all hell.

I used to shoot a 6" Ruger Security Six in a PPC event which is shot all DA. A company called Bullseye used to make spring kits that were easy to install and with some simple polishing the DA pull was very nice. The guns take down very easily for easy cleaning of the internal trigger bits. Security Six's are extremely rugged. If you are only using it for plinking and target use get the 6" bbl for extra weight and longer sight radius.

The 686 is also available in a 5" version; at least it was a year or two ago. Nice compromise. I also have a Security Six (precurser to GP100) 6" with a decent trigger job - great shooter. Don

The 686 is also available in a 5" version; at least it was a year or two ago. Nice compromise. I also have a Security Six (precurser to GP100) 6" with a decent trigger job - great shooter. Don

we have a lot of guys at our club who compete with 686's. most have had the factory do trigger jobs on them. really sweet gun. if they would make one where the cylinder automatically pops open and ejects the brass after 6 rounds have been fired, i'd buy one.

Well fellas, I found a slightly used one that was brought in on trade at a gunship in Alberta just yesterday. The shop owner says it looks like it was hardly fired. I jumped all over it after seeing photos of it. $200 less than new.

ohh but they do...
the bullet slides forward, out of the case and locks the gun up like a rock.....
yep typically no slide to cycle and most times no safety..just point a pull the trigger...but yes they can lockup...
( and you have to remember he is canadian..they are not allowed to have ammo near the gun, and if i recall BOTH must be locked up..seperately.)
i would not call a 357 a plinking gun..if you want to plink get a 38 spcl mdl 10.....

mike in co[
QUOTE=JerrySharrett;671044]I've got one with a 3" barrel in my nightstand loaded with 38 cal hollow base wadcutters seated with the open ends out.
Revolvers don't jam!![/QUOTE]

ohh but they do...
The bullet slides forward, out of the case and locks the gun up like a rock.....

i would not call a 357 a plinking gun..if you want to plink get a 38 spcl mdl 10.....

Mike in co[
quote=jerrysharrett;671044]i've got one with a 3" barrel in my nightstand loaded with 38 cal hollow base wadcutters seated with the open ends out.
Revolvers don't jam!!

Bullets slide forward on yours maybe, but they sure don't on mine!!!

As to plinking, I don't plink.

Back