This Hermes worth it and good for barrel engraving?

DSM

Chuck
Found this New Hermes engraver. The guy wants $190 plus shipping for it. Has letters with it, but no work holding table. I'm sure that is not an issue and can make something. Would this engraver work well for barrels? Is it worth the asking price?

Here is the description:

NEW HERMES ENGRAVOGRAPH ENGRAVING MACHINE Serial Number 21737. Although some parts are missing, this machine will work as it is. The base is missing, but I have used it by placing the machine on a table and devising a way to hold the piece you are engraving. The cutter bit is new.

This includes a full set of fonts. They include: A-5 B-5 C-2 D-3 E-5 F-4 G-4 H-4 I (or 1)-5 J-3 K-3 L-4 M-5 N-4 O-4 P-4 Q-1 R-4 S-5 T-5 U-4 V-3 W-3 X-2 Y-2 Z-1

#2 THRU #9, 3 EACH #0 THERE ARE 4, (, and ), THERE ARE 1 EACH

Found this New Hermes engraver. The guy wants $190 plus shipping for it. Has letters with it, but no work holding table. I'm sure that is not an issue and can make something. Would this engraver work well for barrels? Is it worth the asking price?

Here is the description:

NEW HERMES ENGRAVOGRAPH ENGRAVING MACHINE Serial Number 21737. Although some parts are missing, this machine will work as it is. The base is missing, but I have used it by placing the machine on a table and devising a way to hold the piece you are engraving. The cutter bit is new.

This includes a full set of fonts. They include: A-5 B-5 C-2 D-3 E-5 F-4 G-4 H-4 I (or 1)-5 J-3 K-3 L-4 M-5 N-4 O-4 P-4 Q-1 R-4 S-5 T-5 U-4 V-3 W-3 X-2 Y-2 Z-1

#2 THRU #9, 3 EACH #0 THERE ARE 4, (, and ), THERE ARE 1 EACH

As you already know there is no work holding table. That alone would turn me off regardless of price. Being able to tweak the centerline is critical if you using the rotary cutter. Also the font set is not much good. I have a set like that and it is too large to use on barrels.

Dave

Thanks a ton Dave. I'm glad I inquired about it here...I was close to committing to a deal! I'm hoping to find one on craigslist or a local auction. What am I looking for? I'm sure that question warrants a more complex answer!

engraver

DSM,
I am a jeweler of 40 years and you do not want this type of engraver. And without the holding table and clamps you really do not want to buy.
Mike

Mike...thanks for the additional heads up. I'm not going to buy it, but what if a table was built and a cross feeding drill press vise was utilized so you can move in x, y and figure out a way to move in z direction?

engraver

Bingo Dave.
This would work, you would just need to have some type of rest or support to hold the barrel stable.
Mike

That is the exact same New Hermes that I have. It would make it tough without the table but you could probably make something work, your X Y vise is a good place to start.

I have done many barrels with mine and they look pretty good. SO much better than trying to stamp them with a hammer.

As for the font set it is hard to tell what size they are. You can buy them on the bay pretty cheap. I did get one set that is to small, the letters on the font are about 3/8" or so, even with the engraver on its biggest setting, they are too small.

Joe Hynes

Regarding the font size I was going by their square shape. Anything I have that size is BIG and WIDE. Also I don't see any of rails to hold the font. Too many problems too many missing parts.

Dave

Back