Things we might learn from the Sniper King results

Boyd Allen

I spoke with Lou as he was traveling back from the Sniper King match, and he shared some information that I think that some of you might find interesting. As you study the results that Lawerence W. was kind enough to post, you may notice that Lou had excellent results through the first two days of the three day match. On the third day, his rail's base moved on the bench, spoiling that days results. Nevertheless, the overall picture is one of excellent accuracy. I asked Lou about the details relating to his equipment and load. He shot a Shilen barrel, Berger bullets, a March Scope, and LT 30 powder. For Tacoma, it got hot. I think that he said that it got up to 90 degrees. (Others that attended may want to correct me on this.) In any case, I think that this may dispel any doubts about LT30 not handling hot ambient conditions well. His rail has a delrin sleeve between the barrel block and barrel, a feature shared by Gary Ocock's rail, even thought they are by different manufacturers.

Even though LT30 was originally intended to be primarily for the .30 BR, it seems that it is also an excellent 6PPC powder as well.

i am having a hard enough time finding some and now you want the short range br shooter trying to buy it all up...

I spoke with Lou as he was traveling back from the Sniper King match, and he shared some information that I think that some of you might find interesting. As you study the results that Lawerence W. was kind enough to post, you may notice that Lou had excellent results through the first two days of the three day match. On the third day, his rail's base moved on the bench, spoiling that days results. Nevertheless, the overall picture is one of excellent accuracy. I asked Lou about the details relating to his equipment and load. He shot a Shilen barrel, Berger bullets, a March Scope, and LT 30 powder. For Tacoma, it got hot. I think that he said that it got up to 90 degrees. (Others that attended may want to correct me on this.) In any case, I think that this may dispel any doubts about LT30 not handling hot ambient conditions well. His rail has a delrin sleeve between the barrel block and barrel, a feature shared by Gary Ocock's rail, even thought they are by different manufacturers.

Even though LT30 was originally intended to be primarily for the .30 BR, it seems that it is also an excellent 6PPC powder as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol...
no.( i was talking about the rest of the world)
lou gave me two pounds at the best of the west shoot.
he baited the hook and caught me..
i am a dealer and buy from my suppliers, not retailers...
as luck would have it right after i posted, one of my suppliers got some in and it is on its way to me.
it shoots well in my 30br, at higher velocities with no pressure issues.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/28386
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000790583/Accurate-LT-30-(1-Lb)-

Took me all of two minutes. BTW do you really think that someone who was responsible for both of these powders being manufactured would have to buy them on the retail market? Seriously?

I knew and posted that LT30 was going to be a great 6ppc powder the very first time I tried it. I still feel that way!
I would even go so far and say that LT30, will be a better powder for the 6ppc than LT32. Of course this is just my opinion. I do however feel that some will soon agree. Lee

Ron seems to think it's only for 30BR. I was thinking about buying some from him at East West but decided no. Maybe I'll give it a try after all.

Boyd,
I shot LT-30 the entire 3 days, varied between 27.2-27.8, and although I had dismal results on saturday, due to a couple of reasons one being total exhaustion from the heat on Saturday, the second being playing with adjustments while shooting the record bull! However I did have pressure problems with LT-30! I talked to Lou about it and asked what his load was and he was at 27.8, but he said there were other factors such as bullet seating, chamber, etc. i made new brass on Tuesday, fire formed on Wednesday, and by Saturday morning the primer pockets were loose enough that I literally did not have to apply very light pressure on the priming tool to seat them! Then Lou told me, to trust the gun, and on Sunday, without changing anything and primers getting looser, I shot pretty well, so I still have to figure out whats causing the pressure problem. The new brass was the old gold box Lapua, and I had the same problem in Springville shooting LT-32, this past May, which worked very well for me last Nov,& Dec in Phoenix! maybe I should just rechamber it with Lou's bore rider reamer, since I know very little about the reamer that chambered the barrel, and that may resolve the pressure issue.
By the way I think it was about 98' Saturday and it felt very humid, to me!

A friend traced a pressure issue directly to neck tension. LT 30 basically does not need it, and if you run 133ish neck tension then you will get what you got. try soft seating and low tension. Let us know what happens.

Boyd,
Thanks, that just might be the problem, because I never changed the neck bushing from when I used 133! Will try reducing tension,and seating.

Good. Let me know what happens. Personally, over the years, I have fallen into the trap of not doing a full investigation of what a new powder likes and needs more than once. These days, I try to keep those lessons in mind, but I still find myself taking shortcuts sometimes, and as always end up regretting it. Luckily, I actually like doing experiments.

Back when we were shooting 322 in whatever variation there was at the time, normal seating pressure was thumb pressure on top of a Wilsin seater cap. Since most of us have been shooting 133 so long with heavier seating pressure that might be the problem when we try to go to some of these new variations on 322. Not making adjustments to the seating pressure. I had the same results with LT30 at Luther, primer pockets loosened as the day went on. I was shooting about 26.5 gr with a Rorschach BT. Accuracy was good, but was getting pressure problems. Hard to learn a different powder as what to do after shooting 133 for so long.

One part of Lou's equipment that Boyd did not mention is the new top load Kelbly Stolle Grizzly Lou is using. This top load port was Lou's idea. You load in the top and eject out a micro port on side into a box. Very slick idea and works flawlessly. We are now making these for sale.

Jim

Back