Tell me about Firefox

1...A very good search engine.
2...A secret warplane stolen from the solviet union by Clint Eastwood.
Chuck:rolleyes:

Snuffy,

You'll like it. It's simple, secure and just seems to work better than IE. I've been using it for over a year now. Really like it. There are a number of add-0ns that can be downloaded that allow you to add as much functionality and extra features that you want.

I have mine set to clear all caches and cookies when closed out, so it helps to keep your drive a little cleaner too.

www.mozilla.org

I consider Opera to be a much nicer, faster alternative to either IE or Firefox. I've been using Opera for several years. I don't use the integrated email but did try it. lIke most things, something new is hard to get used to.

The "Mouse Gestures" in Opera are something that is so intuitive, I find myself using them in every program I open. Of course, they don't work but that doesn't stop me from swiping my mouse all over the place. I absolutely never use the button bar in Opera and sometimes wonder why it's there. It has voice recognition, as well as it will read pages aloud which is nice when it's late and you're not really in the mood to sit there staring at the screen. It does translation from the right click menu. It's faster by a longshot than IE or Firefox. If I'd say it has any weakness, it's the way some plugins work and the fact that Style Sheets are written for the bass-akward Microsoft interpretation and so some pages using CSS don't layout right, but it's rare.

http://www.opera.com

Oh, and saving settings in Opera means only copying the Opera folder from $home/application data/Opera. From there, it remembers all your passwords, all your site preferences, logins, favorites, history, etc. It also has a new feature for saving your settings and moving them from machine to machine automatically. I don't use this though so I can't say.

I use Opera on WIndows XP/ WIn98 and 3 flavors of Linux. Settings move from OS to OS just as easily.

I like opera under Linux (Fedora 8) but I haven't been able to get it to work with the flash plugin to dispaly videos such as youtube. Firefox works fine. Any ideas?

I switched to Firefox 3.0. It's faster than Internet Explorer and supposedly safer to surf with.

If you want to try a couple more that I believe is even faster than Firefox, try the new Apple browser, Safari 3.1.2 http://www.filehippo.com/download_safari/ This is simply the faster browser I have tried from my computer. It flat ass smokes. I just didn't like it setup features.

Opera 9.51 http://www.filehippo.com/download_opera/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Louis,

the flash plugin link seems to take for.ev.or to download but that's Adobe, not Opera.

Then. That install script under Fedora 8 cannot be run from the file browser or by clicking on the icon. Go download that script again and open a console window. chdir to the location of the file. /home/louis/Desktop if it's on your desktop. Then execute the script by typing ./scriptname

The script is interactive. That's why you can't just double click it unless you right click and "open in a console" or whatever they call it. You have to answer several prompts before it will do the install. One of which is to type the path to the Opera installation. There's an example given for FireFox something like /usr/lib/firefox and you'll just have to change firefox to opera. I'm not positive it's /usr/lib without looking, it's been a while.

Firefox is paradoxically less hackable than IE... And it doesn't crash as often.And it doesn't do weird stuff as often.

Snuffy, I'm your geek - get it. While you're at it, also transfer your email stuff to Thunderbird. It doesn't have all the holes in it that Outlook does...

Back