Technical Series: barrel profile

tim

Gentlemen I have a question. A former BRC poster/tester/ tuner extrodinair, has as of late been taking a lot of time promoting the concept of reverse taper, non-tuner barrels as the end all, be all. OK, fair question. Now I fully understand that history of profile in matches some years back. Does anybody here know of anybody shooting, building, doing anything with a naked reverse taper barrel anywhere?

No. Not on a heavy gun that I have heard about or, seen. Don Stith would say, look at every big-time sporter out there, they have a reverse-taper barrel. I don't know why it wouldn't work on a heavy gun, it works on sporters and sporters have stock and optics limitations on them. "Because it does" isn't an answer that I am ready to accept though.
Isaac

No. Not on a heavy gun that I have heard about or, seen. Don Stith would say, look at every big-time sporter out there, they have a reverse-taper barrel. I don't know why it wouldn't work on a heavy gun, it works on sporters and sporters have stock and optics limitations on them. "Because it does" isn't an answer that I am ready to accept though.
Isaac

Not really Isaac, Sporters have them with a fixed lug @ the end to tune so they don't count.

Right Tim, that is what I am saying, what is the benefit of an adjustable one on a heavy gun when you can very nearly tune a sporter perfectly with a dog knot? Once a heavy gun is tuned, you don't touch the tuner again. A straight barrel that is chambered, installed and lapped that you clamp a tuner on is cheaper than profiling a sporter barrel and then tuning it, I get that. That is what I don't know the answer to. They work on sporters, very well, Tuna shot a 250 today with a cut-rifled bucket shooting Rock barrel. If the biggest limitations on a sporter are stock design and magnification why not go tuner-less on a heavy gun and use the same barrel profile? I assume that I am missing more of the point on this but, it is a question that has been burning in the back of my mind. I don't have a dog in the fight, my heavy gun has a tuner on it and a straight-taper cut-rifled bucket shooting barrel on it. I am just curious.

Heavy UL`s with Sporter Contours

Issac, Richard Gorham is building me Suhl with a Broughton 4c sporter contour, Tim Miller built a Turbo with a Shilen Ratchet sporter contour and it shoots pretty good, he won a RBA UL match with it already, both are ARA UL rifles that could easily make 10.5 in 50/50. Tim was the first to do this and he was playing around and may have hit on something, BC is even experimenting with it ,it is worth a look. I had a Turbo on order from Flash and had 2 -4c`s and a Rockcreek 4R in sporter contours;seen that the Turbo was not going to get here and saw Tim`s rifle I decided to try it. If you can make it work on one rifle,why won`t it work on a UL rifle? Tim`s is very close!

Isaac the lug on a sporter is the only way to do it within the rules given the fact that it represents a "tuner" of sorts. The other guns use adjustable tuners but the point is the weight at the end is important.

Issac, Richard Gorham is building me Suhl with a Broughton 4c sporter contour, Tim Miller built a Turbo with a Shilen Ratchet sporter contour and it shoots pretty good, he won a RBA UL match with it already, both are ARA UL rifles that could easily make 10.5 in 50/50. Tim was the first to do this and he was playing around and may have hit on something, BC is even experimenting with it ,it is worth a look. I had a Turbo on order from Flash and had 2 -4c`s and a Rockcreek 4R in sporter contours;seen that the Turbo was not going to get here and saw Tim`s rifle I decided to try it. If you can make it work on one rifle,why won`t it work on a UL rifle? Tim`s is very close!

Do I understand you properly that they're building 10 1/2lb guns just with sporter barrels? Can I assume that they have a somewhat longer barrel? I suppose given how some of these sporters are shooting that putting them in the better tracking stocks is a pretty damn good idea.

Do I understand you properly that they're building 10 1/2lb guns just with sporter barrels? Can I assume that they have a somewhat longer barrel? I suppose given how some of these sporters are shooting that putting them in the better tracking stocks is a pretty damn good idea.

ARA UL Rifles/ RBA UL Rifles, I don`t shoot 50/50 so I don`t know if they would qualify within the rules , they will make 10.5 LBs if that is one of the rules,we shoot UL so it is no big deal what you bring to the dance.

If it's 10 1/2 it's a legal IR50 for 3 gun and UNL. Should be interesting to see how this plays out. What's the time frame if I might ask?

1 is done!

Tim Millers rifle is done, don`t know if he is going to leave it in that configuration or not. DOYLE ANGLIN has mine putting it in a stock and it is off to Richard,should have it for the ARA indoors at Rocky River.IT may not work ,but I had all the pieces.I`m sure BC`s project is ready to roll,(Hoosier Hurricne),it has a Tuner adapted to it, we are going to try to fix a Harrels on mine ,James Pappas said he could do it,may not need it,but if we do that a J&J slide could also be put on. Tim `s rifle shot pretty good with nothing but the dog knot.

Tim
About 6 or 7 years ago Benchmark came out with their reverse taper barrel. A local Gunsmith got one. The thought was it would not need a tuner. At that time i tuned and shot rifles for this fellow. It shot well with no tuner. When he put a tuner on it that gun was hard to beat. Bob Bain bought it. He wore us out with it. Some may remember his White CZ. At that time there were a lot of reverse taper barrels being shot with tuners. Dont remember any without a tuner.
Rock Creek is making me a straight sporter barrel with a lump on the end no reverse taper. I don't think the reverse taper makes enough difference for a shooter to be able to tell. Their are a lot things more important than the outside contour of a barrel.

Tim
About 6 or 7 years ago Benchmark came out with their reverse taper barrel. A local Gunsmith got one. The thought was it would not need a tuner. At that time i tuned and shot rifles for this fellow. It shot well with no tuner. When he put a tuner on it that gun was hard to beat. Bob Bain bought it. He wore us out with it. Some may remember his White CZ. At that time there were a lot of reverse taper barrels being shot with tuners. Dont remember any without a tuner.
Rock Creek is making me a straight sporter barrel with a lump on the end no reverse taper. I don't think the reverse taper makes enough difference for a shooter to be able to tell. Their are a lot things more important than the outside contour of a barrel.

That pretty much is what I figured. I had 2 of those early Benchmark reverse tapers, one for sporter, one Bill Myers put on a Turbo with a tuner for me, I never really shot it in matches cause it never came close to my std straight taper barrel at the time.

Tim,Gordon did a sporter barrel on my 40x several years ago. I wanted something to play with. Man, I don't have time to play. I shot several 250's with it and took it off. I may put it back on and Let Truman play. It shoots as well as the broughton that is on it. Gordon probably remembers it.

Jim Pepper, then you think there might be something valid here, Tim Miller may have seen yours,that is why I`m doing one ,I saw Millers and wondered would that work? Monkey see/Monkey do

Slick Willy,
Yes, I think there is something to it. I saw enough out of this barrel to sell me. This was out of the 5 c barrels that were doing so well. Some of these sporters today do great. The heavier platform should help.

Slick Willy,
Yes, I think there is something to it. I saw enough out of this barrel to sell me. This was out of the 5 c barrels that were doing so well. Some of these sporters today do great. The heavier platform should help.

Yea,Dan told me your`s is pretty good,Greg`s& Tony`s are out of that group of 5c`s ,Miller has one of those too I think,I hope someone will be able to complete a deal and finish the actions that Flash had started!

Back