Target scoring

Well he’s right in many respects, anything close needs to be plugged and plugged correctly and consistently.
This is where IR50/50 does a decent job with a stepped plug, magnifier, and usually over a light box. That said, even today, some guys insist on looking from the side, etc., etc.Even with proper equipment, got to have proper procedure which he alludes to in the article.

Great post, Tony, and I agree with Tim regarding the plugging of all near hits or misses and indicating on the target that the plug was use. This subject is a bone of contention in just about all disciplines whether it is rimfire, centerfire, or air rifle. It only takes a minute to plug and remove all doubt. Paul has built a board for the various disciplines complete with paper clamp and can correctly score as quickly with the plug as many score incorrectly without.

Last edited:
Tony, a question for you. For the matches I have shot, the scoring team scans the target, and if the software flagged a bull to be further reviewed, then it is plugged, and a determination is made as to the score. I didn't see that aspect discussed in the link you provided. Is that the appropriate approach for the scoring team to use?

Also, if the software called a shot as out, with a 50 score, we can protest the score, and then it's plugged. I had 2-50's overturned at the Indoor Nationals in December. For those, I looked at the bull, like the example in the link, and then asked for it to be plugged, and they were in.

Thanks,

Larry

Last edited:
Tony, a question for you. For the matches I have shot, the scoring team scans the target, and if the software flagged a bull to be further reviewed, then it is plugged, and a determination is made as to the score. I didn't see that aspect discussed in the link you provided. Is that the appropriate approach for the scoring team to use?

Also, if the software called a shot as out, with a 50 score, we can protest the score, and then it's plugged. I had 2-50's overturned at the Indoor Nationals in December. For those, I looked at the bull, like the example in the link, and then asked for it to be plugged, and they were in.

Thanks,

Larry

That document was written before the computer programs were available.

Anyone that has shot RFBR knows matches are often won or lost by thousandths of an inch.

Anyone that has plugged a lot of targets knows close shots can be made or lost by how carefully the plug is placed in the hole.

Once that plug is stuck in the target the evidence of where that shot landed is lost. Can you think of any other investigation where one destroys the evidence before it is judged or evaluated?

Other shooting disciplines have found better ways to score. I believe we should too.

I my opinion if we went with the raw computer score, taking the human element out of it, we would be better off.

Yes, there would be some errors, but we have errors today.

TKH

Back