switch barrel weatherby Mk V?

Aussie steve

Hi guys, I have a weatherby Mk V in .340 weatherby, and I'd like to switch barrel it. Has anybody done this before? I want to use my weatherby action because it doen't have the recoil lug of my rem 700's.

I was thinking if I get my 'smith to undo the factory barrel, then just nip it up and put a witness mark on the action and on the barrel, then chamber and thread another barrel then add a witness mark so that it matches with the one on the action, I could get away without needing a torque wrench aslong as the two marks were in alignment? Can anybody see anything wrong with this? Would the headspace of my factory barrel be slightly longer as its not screwed in quiet as far?

Any advice would be appreciated

Steve

Aussie Steve: Have you sorted out your issue yet? I'm not sure I understand what you are asking! I neither speak nor completely understand Aussie. What does "nip it up" mean? USA Ben

Steve, you don't actually need any of the fooferaw. Just screw one off and screw the next one on. Lube it correctly and lean into it with a hundred plus pounds and you're golden.

In fact I shoot varmints using hand tightened barrels! Just hand pressure. Screw one off, screw another on.

Headspace is fine altho you'll have about a thou difference between those fired in the hand tightened VS the hundred lb plus.

hth

al

Back