swift or

S

scottms7171

I have rem 700 in a 220 swift now,and plan to rebarrel.what i plan was a 22-6mm rem or stay with the swift.I plan on making a deer and varmit rig combo.Plan on 65gr to 90gr ball. later,scottms7171

Stay with the Swift...close to the same performance without fire-forming and necking down.

If you want two Swifts, maybe improve one or have one with a fast twist for heavy bullets and one slow twist for flatter trajectories at short ranges.

Don't expect too much from one gun. If you want a varmint gun, have a varmint gun. Don't expect your varmint gun to take deer, too. Different tools for different trades.

No premium brass!!

I am a believer that quality brass is needed to make great groups. Their isn't any for the Swift. You can of course sort and prepare enough to anyones brass to get a accurate set. How long it will hold up to a stout long is a different question. Depends on your desired accuracy. I built a 22-250 AI (1:8 twist) that shoots up to the 80 low drags excellent with great velocity. It will match everything a Swift will do with a little less powder. I have shoot some of the brass 6 times now with neck sizing only and the bolt still closes easy enough. Almost no case stretch. Nosler makes some good brass for the 22-250 parent case.

I also was curious about the 22-6mm (also called the 224 Texas Trophy Hunter). I talked to Lonnie Humell (sp?) at Hornady about it last year before I built the 22-250 AI. Lonnie has been shooting it competitively for some time. He is an excellent resource. The thoughts of sending a 80 Amax humming along a 3600 fps fascinates me. When I burn the throat out of my 22-250 AI, I will set it back at a 22-6. I can use my standard 6mm Rem bushing dies with proper 22 cal neck bushing I think. Again, the same problem is premium brass.

Luck in your choice, tiny

for both a varmint, and deer rifle, you might consider going with the 6MM rem. loaded right, it will do both well.

Tiny, I'm shooting 6mmImproved with Winchester brass with no problems thus far. Quite pleased with the ballistic performance of the round.

However, quality brass is available! All one has to do is buy Norma 7x57 brass, and neck it to 6.5mm (for instance with my 6.5-284 neck die), then down to six mm with the full-length 6mm AI die. I would imagine a person could do this incrementally all the way down to .224", but one might have to turn depending on the reamer design.

6mm brass

Tyler,

I completely agree. I also have made good 6mm Rem from Norma and RWS 7x57 cases. If fact, my 6mm Rem is set up as a no turn for the Norma. I did a 0.274 neck (no-turn for Remmy brass) on my 6mm AI and I would have to turn necks to use the Norma brass. I am resisting that. The Remington brass is working good. I just have to cull around 5% and when I weight sort after fireforming and tirming. I end up with a lot of +/- 0.5 gr lots. I have 5 bins. If it doesn't fit one of those, it hits the reject pile.

tiny

220 swift

scottms7171 I have a 220 swift that was built in the Remington custom shop it has a 27" barrel with a .260 neck, and a 1-8 twist. I am considering selling this rig or the barrel, and buying a 6br for varmints If you are Interested, I can send you pictures of the gun and The load development of some of the 75G vmax bullets I tried last summer.

Last edited:
Interesting question and responses. Food for thought. I have been considering a 22x6mmAI with an 8 twist barrel shooting 80gr vld's.

farmboy

tiny68,

Here is some interesting reading if you want a screamer. It sounds like the Middlestead might be a consideration. Up to and maybe beyond 5,278 fps. :eek:

Note that the 35 grain V-Max bullets shoot pretty darn accurate at hyper speeds. You might have to change barrels after your first ag. though? ;)

http://www.accuratereloading.com/22-243.html

Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Last edited by a moderator:
barrel burner

tiny68,

Here is some interesting reading if you want a screamer. It sounds like the Middlestead might be a consideration. Up to and maybe beyond 5,278 fps. :eek:

Note that the 35 grain V-Max bullets shoot pretty darn accurate at hyper speeds. You might have to change barrels after your first ag. though? ;)

http://www.accuratereloading.com/22-243.html

Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

gt40,

I have seen that page. I think you are right. 100 shots would probably been the max on a barrel. My barrels are all fast twist and I don't know that any 22 cal bullet could survive +5,000 fps in a 1:8 or 1:7 twist. I have seen some interesting reports on the 22-243 Middlestead. Considering that. Since I have been bitten by the Wildcat bug, the opinions seem endless. I am making my gunsmith and the die companies happy. :p:p

tiny

scott (just to piggyback on several points)

to hunt deer with the 22-6m/m follow the previous advice with a fast twist barrel. berger suggestes 1 in 6.5 for their 90gr vld.
interesting one suggested just use the 6m/m rem you have up to 105 gr bullets for deer and 58 gr for varmints. either way one would have a good dual purpose rifle.
to satisfy your curiosity go to midwayusa's website and read the reviews for the heavy 22cal bullets. one can see that there are many hunters that use heavy a-max, berger vld, speer trophy bonded, and sierra matchkings for deer sized game.
the main thing is to do what YOU want, because if you dont you will always have that nagging in the back of your mind. after trying out your thoughts then evaluate the cartridge for yourself.
oh by the way i also agree with the individual that stated 220 swift has no "good" brass manufacturer, meaning just hunting quality not benchrest quality, OK.
Greg Moyer

There is absolutly no issue with the performance of the 220 swift. I have been very competitive in the factory class with one shooting 52 grain SMK's with an old beat up Winchester M70 Heavy Varmint with @2000 rounds out of it. So that even kinda blows the myth of being a barrel burner. I must admit about the middle of last season it lost its comptitive edge and cannot shoot with the Coopers and 40X's anymore. As far as the brass I guess I don't understand what you guys classify "Quality" Midway sells Norma,

Norma Brass 220 Swift Box of 100
Product #: 462727

I'm going to rebarrel mine and rest assured it will be another 220 Swift. I'm not looking for an argument just stating how well mine has served me.

Back