Swarovski Scope

catmasher

catmasher
If anyone would know about scope it has to be BR'ers

Very new guy here, I mainly shoot schuetzen standing at 200 yards and I have found a Swarovski Scope without OA adjustment but the factory guide said that the parallax without focus is 109 yards and again at 218 yards, can this be true.

I don't want to trade for this scope if it isn't clear at 200 yards...Don't understand fixed parallax.

Will this scope do what I want it to do at 200.

thanks catmasher

catmaster,

Firstly, parallax is not focus, though many use the expression interchangeably & the outcome in well engineered scopes should be identical.

Adjusting for parallax is to adjust the optics so that the previously-focussed crosshairs & the image correspond at the same point. In that condition, the location of your eye behind the scope becomes non-critical because, were the rifle fixed, the crosshairs would remain on the same aim. If the two do not correspond, then the crosshairs will migrate across the image as the eye is relocated.

In fixed focus scopes, the image will only correspond at one distance & if I recall the physics correctly, that distance will be dependent on how much you have needed to adjust the eyepiece to bring the crosshairs into focus. In your specific case, I suspect that something is lost in translation of the instructions. I would expect that the scope has been adjusted so that parallax is adjusted to a distance between 100 & 200 metres that the manufacturer deems is a suitable compromise to achieve minimum parallax error at both the stated distances for the "average" eye.

If you are already using a scope without parallax/focus adjustment, you already are working with that compromise. There are only two solutions:

• Buy a scope with parallax adjustment & adjust it at the distance you shoot until there is no movement of the crosshairs when you move your head. see http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html
  • Fit a cap over the eyepiece with, say a ¼" hole punched centrally. This will limit the distance parallax will stray because you woun't be able to see thru the scope unless you us a constant head position.
John

What I'm get at is the owners manual says

Parallax
Your rifle scope is set to be parallax-free without
parallax turret at a target distance of 109 yds
(100 m) – or in the case of the 4A-300 (not available
in the USA) and BRX reticles at a target distance of
219 yds (200 m). This means that at a distance of
109 yards (100 m) and 219 yards (200 m) respectively,
the image of the object aimed at and the image
of the reticle are in a single plane.
Please take into consideration:
With shots at distances greater or less than 109 yards
(100 m) and 219 yards (200 m) respectively, take
care to position the eye carefully central to the scope.
This will prevent shifting of the impact point due to
parallax errors.

Now the model that I'm looking at is a non OA ajustable model, but the way that I read (in my book) it says parallax will be even at 109 & 218 yards, is that right?

I need something good at 200 yards. Make me clear on this please.

catmasher

Maybe I'm just not too bright, that's been pointed out from time to time, but it escapes me how parallax can be adjusted out of a scope at 100 and 200 meters simultaneously. If that's true then it would seem that at some shorter or greater distance the parallax should be adjusted out as well, which is obviously not true. In the scopes I've used with adjustable focus/parallax they're on at one distance and off at all others, I can't understand how it could be otherwise. Maybe the Austrians have some special optical magic though.

John's idea of fitting a cap with a hole in it over the eyepiece seems like the best solution if you're committed to using this scope.

Catmasher,

I read that quote differently.

To me it says that one model (not identified in your quote) has the parallax adjusted at 100 metres and another model (the 4A-300) and also those with the BRX reticles are parallax adjusted at 200 metres. The operative word is respectively, which points out to the reader that there is more than one option.

John

Guy, I think that statement in the owner manual is all screwed up or atleast that the way I am now......maybe I'll pass on that modle of Swarovski Z3 4-12x50, was going to trade a Sightron 10-50x60 for it but maybe not now.....thanks for your help so far....Oh, by the way I hate the new side focus parallax scopes......

the cat

I agree it's the wrong scope for your application.

Fitch

PS I love the side focus scopes for hunting.

frw

Agree with xbbr

It is optically impossible to have a scope parallax free at two different ranges.

He who comes up with the technology to remove parallax at more than one distance simultaneously will be a very rich person.

Andy
Optical engineer.

It is optically impossible to have a scope parallax free at two different ranges.

He who comes up with the technology to remove parallax at more than one distance simultaneously will be a very rich person.

Andy
Optical engineer.

You are correct of course. The key word being "simultaneously". Physics being what it is, I'd not hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

That said, in most respects the adjustable objective/side focus, if the scope has one of them, eliminates parallax as a practical problem.

Fitch

Back