Supertune tuner question

dokey

I recently acquired an older (around 1995) Time Precision Supertune tuner. It's about 5-3/8" long and weighs .416 lbs . Does anyone have any experience or know how to set up these?

Supertuner

I used to use one on my factory 52D. To set it, you shoot two shot at each 1/4 turn. for 10 shots. Do this again for the next set of 10 shots. You should start seeing a pattern develope. On my 52D, I found the best setting after the first 10 shots. After that, the further out I went with the tuner, the worse the groups got. For over 8 years, I never had to use a different setting. Sad part, after the rifle quit shooting, I had to have it recrowned and it would not shoot well at all with the lighter tuner, regardless of where I set it. After I installed a heavier tuner, I was able to get back down to some decent groups and scores again. Still it won't shoot with my newer barrels now, but I can still use it as a back up.

I have two Times that both shot very well with their original barrels with Time Supertunes. Those barrels were from the BR-50 days when a light weight gun got a bonus added to the score. One gun weighed a tad over 10 lbs and the other a tad over 9 lbs. Since those barrels went away the new barrels give guns over 12 lbs and the heavier barrels have not responded well to the Supertune. One I replaced with a Hoehn tuner and the other I epoxied 6 inches of gas pipe to the Supertune with better results.

With the original barrels I found both tuned the same. Turn the tuner all the way in and shoot 5 shot groups at each increment. If after 3 shots I had a 3 shots that did not touch I would go to the next setting. I found about every 8 increments repeated. So I never had to shoot more than 8 increments to find the sweet spot. Also, the setting next to the sweet spot would many times have 2 shots in one hole and 3 in another.

Once the sweet spot was found I never had to change it from one lot to another although I always checked it. Sometimes I could get improvement from lot to lot by using a different action torque setting. Usually in the range of 37 to 45 inch pounds for each gun.

But one thing I found that goes against this heavy tuner direction we are going is I have an old BSA Martini MK III with a 29 inch heavy barrel that goes around 16 lbs with scope. I have a Supertune with 8 inch bloop tube that does work on that rifle. Granted it is heavier than a standard Supertune, I don't think it is as heavy as a Hoehn tuner. Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Back