Sub ounce trigger pull measurement

KCCZ

How and with what device is used to measure these very low trigger pull weights ? How to measure single digit gram and sub ounce pull weights ?

How and with what device is used to measure these very low trigger pull weights ? How to measure single digit gram and sub ounce pull weights ?
Just to add to what Tim offered these are the gauges I use. I bought them off eBay and they have worked well.

When the first Flavio Fare triggers became available in the U.S. they were greeted with a lot of doubt. Bix and Andy triggers were still new and not widely accepted.

I, like others, had used Jewell triggers for 20 plus years and thought I was happy with them. When I bought these gauges and started using them is when I changed my mind.

To this day shooters are still asking are the Bix and Flavios are worth the extra cost. Only you can answer that for yourself. But now that Jewell is gone there aren't a lot of options.

Note: 1 ounce=28.3495231 grams

Attachments

• triggerg1.jpeg
    triggerg1.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 35
  • triggerg2.jpeg
    triggerg2.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 34
  • triggerg3.jpeg
    triggerg3.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
it takes a bit of practice, but i like the paper clip, plastic bag, and sand method. attach the plastic bag to the paper clip and hang it from the trigger. slowly pour sand into the bag until she fires. weigh the clip, bag, and sand.

On top of those showed Mitutoyo has excellent tension scales

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2024-02-14, às 22.47.35.jpg
    Captura de ecrã 2024-02-14, às 22.47.35.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 25
Great thread! I had already found my digital scale not responding as my pull got lighter and this will be very helpful in getting those last grams out!
Stuart

Not a thing wrong with knowing the actual pull weight to a high level of accuracy...at all. That said, Why does absolute accuracy matter if it feels good? I use a Lyman electronic pull guage and it actually checks out very good, using the calibration weights for my rcbs scale as a test weight. I have heard some say that they weren't very accurate. All I can say is that may or may not be true, but mine is actually quite good and has resolution in tenths of an ounce(yes, resolution). It appears to be accurate to about that as well, tenth of an ounce accuracy, or very close. That said, with accuracy that is even in the right ballpark, does better accuracy of the gauge matter? If it feels good, is safe(no slam fires), has minimal or no creep(they all have creep) and are within a tenth or so of your desired pull weight, per the gauge...why do I need to know if I have it at .8 or .9 tenths of an ounce, etc? That's all I'm saying. Again, not a thing wrong with better tools. Just not sure it matters here.

Last edited:
Mike, we boys like our toys. Something else to fiddle with on a cold, rainy day when you are bored. I'm ckecking Ebay now. Seems the good ones come from China and shipping takes weeks.

it takes a bit of practice, but i like the paper clip, plastic bag, and sand method. attach the plastic bag to the paper clip and hang it from the trigger. slowly pour sand into the bag until she fires. weigh the clip, bag, and sand.
Just the paper clip and bag would fire a sub ounce trigger. This may work if your trigger pull measures in pounds but not on a sub ounce trigger. Apples and Oranges. I can't attach a paper clip to my B&A without setting it off.

Just the paper clip and bag would fire a sub ounce trigger. This may work if your trigger pull measures in pounds but not on a sub ounce trigger. Apples and Oranges. I can't attach a paper clip to my B&A without setting it off

Pounds? Really? BTW, the paper clip by itself is 1g.

kPPRU2I.jpg

FWIW, there seems, these days, to be those that feel there is some profound difference in a BR trigger set between 7/8oz and 1/2 oz or so, some stating publicly they can “feel “ this monumental difference

FWIW, there seems, these days, to be those that feel there is some profound difference in a BR trigger set between 7/8oz and 1/2 oz or so, some stating publicly they can “feel “ this monumental difference
Some people just operate at a higher level. The best time to be doing that is when the printer is spitting out the match results.

It might hurt a little to say this....maybe more than a little...but I agree with your point here. Gotta shoot the difference before it makes one. That's just a fact.

Hey Frey. Paper clip, plastic bag, sand??????? Seriously. Get out of the dark ages and join us in the 21st. century.

I use a fishing weight in a piece of fishing line. The trick to it is to use a piece of line long enough for the weight to sit on the ground, then put it over the trigger and lift up. If you try to put it over the trigger and lower it until it's tight, it almost always sets it off. I don't know if I can tell the difference between 1/2 and 7/8ths of an oz., but I can tell between 1/2 and 2 ozs.

You could rig something up that you fill with water or similar until the trigger breaks..then weigh it. You could be quite accurate this way with some of today's scales.

Back