Stuck cases. Why?

tjensen

A friend has a BRNO rifle in ,222 rem.

He lives far away so I can not check it for headspace, but he sayz that cases stick in it and he has to push them out with a cleaning rod.
He uses factory ammo.

What reasons could there be for this?

Most problems can be resolved with a real good cleaning. Find a pistol brush that fits the chamber well and twist the gunk out and flush afterwards. Tell us more- new ammo? New gun? Has it worked before- and with this ammo? Has something changed or just happened without changing anything? Need details.

Nothing has changed and it used to work.
Don´t know about the ammo, but it´s factory.
Those BRNO rifles have tight chambers though.

If it used to work it sounds like it needs a cleaning or different ammo. I dont know anything about brno chambers but as sloppy as the actions are i cant imagine the chamber being tight- if anything id guess it was as loose as their dangerous game rifles which are so big they work fine dirty

A friend ... sayz that cases stick in it and he has to push them out with a cleaning rod.
He uses factory ammo.

What reasons could there be for this?

If he uses factory ammo it wouldn't surprise me if there's a bigger problem than a dirty chamber. Tell him to be sure the extractor is not bent or broken.

VERY IMPORTANT-- when using a cleaning rod to remove stuck cases, make a mental point to NEVER take your hand off the cleaning rod while it is in the barrel!!

There have been deaths and serious injuries where the shooter punches out the stuck case then, in haste, forgets to remove the rod.

Stuck Case

I had a .30/06 pump that would get the brass stuck in the chamber after firing. The chamber was slightly pitted, neglect from the previous owner, and the expanded brass would hang up. I polished the chamber and resolved the problem.

VERY IMPORTANT-- when using a cleaning rod to remove stuck cases, make a mental point to NEVER take your hand off the cleaning rod while it is in the barrel!!

There have been deaths and serious injuries where the shooter punches out the stuck case then, in haste, forgets to remove the rod.

Darwin award nominees. :D

Back