Stock inletting

tinman

I usually buy my stocks with a semi inlet but could not find one so I got a Mcmillan edge flattop Rem stock. My question is what bits are you guys using to inlet the action area on a mill? I was thinking of using a core box bit maybe not sure what size.

Any help would be great
Thanks
James

I use a 5/8 radius core box cutter. 2 passes down the middle to .687 deep, raise your cutter .005 and out .053 each side. A lite cleanup with a dowel wrapped in sand paper and you are good. Haven't seen any remington 700s that aren't real close to 1.356 dia. Wayne

Back when I had a wood shop, I had a place in Houston custom make me a 1 3/8" round nose carbide bit. Start shallow and make several passes. When you get deep enough, you have just the right amount of room for bedding around a Remington action. No adjusting needed.

Joe

I use 1/4" carbide and do it cnc. 1/4" is cheap and fibreglass is tough on cutters although wood is okay. Trying to use a cutter the size of the part, cnc or not, is hard to do and if you start from the centre out you can adjust to perfectly establish centre as you widen the cut.

The digital readout on my mill is capable of doing that but I am not. Read the book for 2 hours and still can't do it. Wayne

James,
Doing it with a mill is a good way to ensure the inletting is in line with the stock, which is essential for good tracking. It doesn't matter what diameter ball endmill you have. Just think of the geometry of rolling a ball of the endmill's diameter along a circle of the action's diameter & calculate a table of cuts to make. I inletted a flat top McMillan edge stock for a 1 3/4 " diameter Hart action using a 1/2 ball endmill, moving sideways .010" and down the calculated amount. Worked well. With my 1 3/4" action and a 1/2" endmill, I made the center of the endmill move in a 1 1/4" circle. Clear?

Regards, Ron

Thanks for all the info guys, I had a motor control board go bad on my mill so I decided it was time to upgrade to a larger motor and a better board. I just finished my new motor mount for my 2.8hp treadmill motor and wired up my new KBMM 225D board and so far it works great.

I am done with stock inletting and it turned out great. Now I just need to expoxy and bed the action. What is the min temp for expoxy, using JB weld. I can make my shop whatever temp but usually leave it at 60*F over nite. I was thinking of just leaving it at 70 for the day.

Thanks again
James

Gotta get back to making bullets:)

Back