Still waiting on barrels........

K

kiwi smith

Guys, just seeking some feedback. What do you consider is a reasonable waiting time for custom order barrels?

Nothing out of the ordinary, just the usual common calibres and twist rates. I have been waiting over 7 months now to get some barrels sent out, all were pre-paid, but feel i am getting the run-around from the manufacturer.

Not naming names of course, but what do you think is a fair time to keep customers waiting?

Cheers.

Not naming names of course, but what do you think is a fair time to keep customers waiting?

Cheers.
For the barrels I use for 100/200 and 600 (6mm 14 & 8 twist) I have been ordering from Lester Bruno. I have been doing this for the last 6-8 years, he always has them in stock and ships immediately. I usually buy 2-3 from him at the Super Shoot also.

We also have been ordering some direct from one of the newer barrel makers to get some odd twists and we get them in 4-6 weeks.

my last bbl was about 4 weeks...3 years back...i did that bbl because at the time the bbl i wanted (krieger)was on a 4-5 month backlog....
so it varies...big name often have backlogs....
i dont think mentioning the name is a big deal..it could be why the long wait.
also with multiple bbls, just the stager in the production line could be adding some time.

mike in co

It just depends upon the manufacturer. Generally, it takes longer to get a cut rifled barrel than it takes to get a button rifled barrel. Hart is taking about 5 to 6 weeks, Lilja about 6 to 8 weeks, Shilen about the same as Lilja depending upon whether you want a match grade or select match grade barrel, Krieger almost 6 months and Bartlein was running longer than Krieger the last order I received from them. And those delivery times are for delivery in the US. When they have to apply for a export permit which they do for every order shipped out of the US, there is no telling how long it will take. They may have your barrels sitting ready to ship, but can't until they have the correct paperwork from the state department.

A barrel maker shipped a barreled action for me to a customer in Great Britain. From the time I shipped the barreled action to the barrel maker to the time that the customer received it was over 6 months and that was all them applying and waiting on the correct paper work to ship the barreled action along with the shipping time.

Last edited:
It just depends upon the manufacturer. Generally, it takes longer to get a cut rifled barrel than it takes to get a button rifled barrel. Hart is taking about 5 to 6 weeks, Lilja about 6 to 8 weeks, Shilen about the same as Lilja depending upon whether you want a match grade or select match grade barrel, Krieger almost 6 months and Bartlein was running longer than Krieger the last order I received from them. And those delivery times are for delivery in the US. When they have to apply for a export permit which they do for every order shipped out of the US, there is no telling how long it will take. They may have your barrels sitting ready to ship, but can't until they have the correct paperwork from the state department.

A barrel maker shipped a barreled action for me to a customer in Great Britain. From the time I shipped the barreled action to the barrel maker to the time that the customer received it was over 6 months and that was all them applying and waiting on the correct paper work to ship the barreled action along with the shipping time.

Thanks Mike, the export permit is already in order, so it is likely just a production issue. Most of what you have said confirms my thoughts. I would think that if guys were having to wait over 6 months then they should be expanding to keep on top of demand and cut the lead times down a bit. Makes it hard for a guy to run a business and try to keep customers happy with all the delays........

I was talking to a barrel maker, don't remember who it was, but he said the best way to do barrel exports was to get a permit or whatever license it is for 49 barrels. Not sure why that particular number, but then the customer could order barrels as he needed them through the year on that one permit. A customer told me the other day that Bartlein has done just what you have said. Because of delivery time they have expanded their business to get better delivery. Shilen has done the same thing.

Back