Staying in shape, bicycling

TomD

e publius unum
I let my weight get just totally out of control and I ballooned up to a size that astounded even me. About a year and a half ago I decided that life really wasn't worth a flip at my incredibly reduced physical abilities and decided that it was time to do something about it.

Turns out the solution is diet and exercise. Who knew? Who suspected? I wont bother with describing the diet but I now weigh close to 100 pounds less than where I started 18 months ago.

For the exercise part, I took up bicycling. I'm now on my 3rd bike, what is called a road bike though I thought it an absurdity a year ago that I would ever own one. I ride every day with a day off every week or so; the rides will between 20 and 50 miles. I use a heart rate monitor and the important part is to keep the heart rate at 80% max + for most of the ride but to zing it waay up several times a ride. Obviously you can't do this at first but it is really astonishing how rapidly your body adjusts even if you are over 60.

I'm 63 and in the best shape of my life. I don't get out of breath, I climb the local 170 foot lighthouse without notice and jump up into the back of my truck without notice.

Probably some of you who never lost the ability are wondering what I'm talking about.

Any rate, here is my latest bike. Guess what, know how you can get 90% of possible accuracy for $500-$600 for a Savage rifle? But accuracy improvements from there get rapidly more expensive for smaller and smaller reductions in group ability.
Bikes are like that too! Big surprise there I'm sure, though this bike does cost less than a March scope. The really expensive bikes don't.

DSC2882t.jpg

Last edited:
hmmmmm, I din't know John was making bikes. Is that REALLY leather? Must be the new Kydex.....

:)

LOL

al

Tom,

You are to be congratulated.......well done!!

Back in the late 80's I took up road biking, with lap swimming, as cross-training......due to a racquetball injury. My favorite bike was a Trek 1500 with DH bars......put many a mile on it.

Did the Hotter'N Hell Hundred.....twice. Alas.....severe crotch numbness put an end to distance biking. So, I went back to racquetball.......until shoulder surgery....but I digress.....

Kevin

I was actually looking at new bikes today. Went for a 18 mile ride just before work this am. I have a race bike now that's getting older, it'd be nice to get a new one but they cost like Cadillac cars. I remember thinking when I bought it I needed my head examined for spending that on a bike, but it's been a good quality piece. I'm not sure I want to keep investing in them though. Looks like you coulda had a few weeks in Europe for what that one cost too. I see some online that are up above 16 grand. I'm not sure what that's all about. Personally, I think the bike industry needs a reality check.

It is very good, functional exercise.

Confessions of a data junkie:

I don't guess that it will come as a surprise to anyone that technology has come to pretty much every area, including bicycling. GPS units for bikes are made now and it's a lot more than just a map. It has a built in altimeter and sensors for heart rate and cadence (pedaling RPM) and will display a map of the route that you rode with all speed, heart rate, altitude, grade, cadence and more shown as a graph. You can show one data line or overlay as many as 4. Then it will link to google earth and show your route with data points for each second of the ride overlaid on the map.

Samples from my ride this AM below.

garminss.gif

garminss2.gif

Mind posting a link to what you're datalogging with Tom? That's pretty kewl.

Explain to me how going fast with minimum exertion is better than going nearly as fast with maximum exertion on an old Schwinn balloon tire bike with knee action front fork. As a kid I had a beat up old bike with one gear balloon tires, fenders, and a basket for carrying whatever I put in it. I rode it all the time and I wasn't out of shape.

I had it made. I had a Schwinn 3-speed with the shifter inside the rear hub. It had a chain hanging out like the pull cord for a ceiling fan. All's I hadda' do to change gears was reach back to the rear hub and clik a new gear...... handy dandy.

Then I met a kid with a derailer...hokey schmoke, he could shift while facing forward! But then the derailer disengaged climbing a hill (we got some out here) and his foot went under the pedal, ate the tops of his toes off. I felt better.

lol

al

Explain to me how going fast with minimum exertion is better than going nearly as fast with maximum exertion on an old Schwinn balloon tire bike with knee action front fork. As a kid I had a beat up old bike with one gear balloon tires, fenders, and a basket for carrying whatever I put in it. I rode it all the time and I wasn't out of shape.

Francis. It doesn't get any easier, you get faster and go further. What's the point? Well, it seemed a good idea at the time.

4mesh: That is Garmin Training Center, comes with the Garmin GPS. Take the GPS off the bike, jack it into the computer by a USB plug and Training Center comes up and downloads everything. Saves everything as a database too.

I'm 63 and in the best shape of my life. I...jump up into the back of my truck without notice.

Those are impressive statements. Jumping into the back of my truck is not something I enjoy doing -- maybe I need one of those bikes. :)

4mesh: That is Garmin Training Center, comes with the Garmin GPS. Take the GPS off the bike, jack it into the computer by a USB plug and Training Center comes up and downloads everything. Saves everything as a database too.
Thanks Tom,

I saw your image name was garminss so I did a quick search today for Garmin stuff. On Amazon I found some gizmo that came with a watch and a heart monitor, but even after reading the description, I still don't know what the other piece did. No mention of a gps though and that looks like it would be the part that makes this useful to me. I may just have to have one of them! That actually looks useful.

FYI, about 100 yards from the front door at work, we've got the entrance to what is said to be one of the nicest bike trails you'll find. It runs from Jersey Shore PA to Wellsboro PA. It's a Rail Conservancy trail. You've probably hit up a few down your way as you're serious into biking. This one is quite scenic. Here's a few reviews and the website.

http://www.traillink.com/trail-reviews/pine-creek-rail-trail.aspx

http://www.railstotrails.org/news/recurringFeatures/trailMonth/archives/0907.html

Thanks Tom,

FYI, about 100 yards from the front door at work, we've got the entrance to what is said to be one of the nicest bike trails you'll find. It runs from Jersey Shore PA to Wellsboro PA. It's a Rail Conservancy trail. You've probably hit up a few down your way as you're serious into biking. This one is quite scenic. Here's a few reviews and the website.

http://www.traillink.com/trail-reviews/pine-creek-rail-trail.aspx

http://www.railstotrails.org/news/recurringFeatures/trailMonth/archives/0907.html

Yeah, one or two trails. ;-) Occasionally government does something right.

4mesh: the other piece, probably the odd looking black thing with the projection is probably the speed/cadence sensor. There is a magnet on the pedal crank arm and on a wheel spoke so that unit picks up both cadence and wheel RPM.

Last edited:
I was trying to figure out what the "ANT Stick" was. I get it now. The first I saw that, it appeared to be an optional piece and was purchased separately. It's the receiver... duh. Not exactly an optional extra.

There are certainly a lot of different models aren't there.

I was trying to figure out what the "ANT Stick" was. I get it now. The first I saw that, it appeared to be an optional piece and was purchased separately. It's the receiver... duh. Not exactly an optional extra.

There are certainly a lot of different models aren't there.

Yeah, I'm cheap though and got the Edge 305 with cadence, had to buy the heart rate strap separately ($25). There is also a Forerunner 305 but it is for runners and totally different.

Here is a picture of the GPS in action a couple of days ago though I really took the shot because of the temp shown in the other piece in the picture. The red is a reflection of my shirt, I wasn't on fire, quite.

The Garmin screen is configurable, you can set it to display whatever configuration of 8 types of data it is tracking. There is also a map screen, more like a car GPS and an elevation screen.

Don't usually take pictures while moving, found all about inattention while riding one handed a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_0715.jpg

Ok, well, I'd be in the air conditioning! I'm going to leave to go for a ride in a few minutes and I'm guessing it's all of 75 here.

I asked my oldest brother via email last night if he'd heard of these Forerunner gizmos. He said he won a 305 in a raffle some time back in an online survey of some sports medicine hospital. He just turned 60 in March, and he's been a marathon / x-country runner his whole life. A true nutcase if ever there was one. In April, he came down from NH for a run in Hyner PA (seriously, the guys not right). The run was in the rain and mud along trails up at what's called Hyner Point (vista). This is a place so steep they jump off with hang gliders and such. During this run your hands are on the rocks it's that steep. Why? Anyhow, he said he loves the FR305. He admits is a bit optimistic about vertical tracking but that is due to the traingulation not doing so well in that plane. Horizontal being dead on accurate. That vertical he says Google earth is much more accurate. He mentioned that it gets elevation data from topo data, instead of via satellite. Still, pretty close. He said his Forerunner 305 said there was almost 6000ft of vertical climb in that run, but Google earth said just over 4600. All in all he is thrilled with the thing, as it appears you are. He doesn't take it if he's just doing a 3mi run or so. He said for useful data in his case he needs to run 6mi or more. In his words, "if it's less, I pretty much know if I'm running or loafing. On long runs, that's where after a while you loose track if it's work or not."

Here's a google earth pic he sent of the route they took. We had a birthday party for him following this and he mentioned he was gonna sleep real well.

Well, thanks... you got me shopping again...

HynerRoute4-16-11.jpg

Nice bike and electronics setup! Don't forget what I consider the most important component for cycling: Powermeter. Measures torque with strain guages and sendes it to the head unit via wireless Ant+ transmission, displayed in Watts. There is no better way to measure your fitness than to track what power you can average over various durations. Seeing your average power go up is as addictive as shooting little holes in paper (for me anyway). They're only half the price of a March scope too!

Here is a picture of one bike my nephew rides ... he has several...

This is the same model that has won the Tour de France the last two years... $14000, weighs 15 pounds. The rear wheel with the power meter is $2500

picture002-0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Atlanta to shoot at Riverbend week before last, stopped by the Silver Comet Trail on the way out and saw this. Don't know if it makes it to the $14K level but it's a bunch. Carbon fiber wheels. Heh!

DSC3504t.jpg

Back