Stainless Steel Thread Lube

anti-seize lube wirh copper would probably be as good as any. It comes either with copper or nickle that I know of, maybe more types. Try your local auto parts store to find it. Max

Thank you Max I have heard mention of several different products, I just can't remember which one was being used by the majority of Smiths.

J.Louis

I've been using a Molykote product by Dow Corning for several years. I think it's the P-37 antiseize, but most of the writing has worn off the can.

I've used Permatex Anti-Seize, Drydene EP wheel bearing grease, TM bolt lube, Kelbly's bolt lube, Shooter Choice Synthetic, and others I can't remember.

I've never had a barrel seize up using any of them. Never a problem at all, except the anti-seize gets on everything and is a b*tch to clean up. And it aint just for threads, the shoulder is just as important.

Just use something.

Last edited:
Sbindy your use of Teflon Pipe Dope is very interesting. With chrome moly barrels I wrap the threads withTeflonn tape and was not sure how that would work with stainless and I did not want to take any chances.

J.Louis

High temperature bearing grease woorks fine and is much less expensive. Recomended by the Machinist Handbook.

Nat Lambeth

Sbindy your use of Teflon Pipe Dope is very interesting. With chrome moly barrels I wrap the threads withTeflonn tape and was not sure how that would work with stainless and I did not want to take any chances.

J.Louis

On Stainless I use the Teflon Dope and it has never galled the threads on me yet. Even when the two parts are tightened close to the breaking point, I was able to get them back apart without any galling. I havent used the tape on threads, but it is supposed to work the same way.

When I am assembling stainless pipe fittings together, I use both.

I use the pure nickel :cool:
Gary Eliseo

Last edited by a moderator:
Back