squirrel gun troubles

gambler

fer two years i've been wastin time and money trying to put together a killer squirrel gun.
i started with a NY,Kimber but never could get the trigger suitable, the i got a new cz 452 american and changed out every factory part , trigger springs bolts and nuts, then in April
i sent it to a touted local gunsmith fer to git a glass and pillar job, he finally sent it back last week job unfinished !!!!!!
he said he didn't have the proper tools to do the pillars, he did do a sweet trigger job, but i wasted 8 months on this guy and let him blow smoke up my keester...
where can i buy a set of pre cut to fit pillars fer this rifle or do they have to be cut and fitted to each individual rifle, i can't shoot it in competition but i would like for it to be all it can be.....
thanks
Earl

My CZ 452 hasen't been out of my safe since I bought a Savage. Great trigger and, with good ammo, will put 10 shots in a dime at 50 yds.

Al Kunard

Earl, I am no expert. I buy 1/2 OD x 0.260 ID aluminum tube and then cut my pillars to length. I use my pillars with the ends flat, then the bedding will fill in the contour. There are many places to buy tube. I use speedymetals.com they don't seem to complain about small orders. If you should want to try this pillar bedding, there is a great write up at 6mmbr.com/pillarbedding. Good luck.T

I don't know about the 452 stock, but when I bedded a 527 I elected not to install pillars because I felt the wood was too thin around the holes to safely drill out for pillars without breaking out the one side. - nhk

on my CZ453

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?54052-Amateur-needs-bedding-advice-!

"threaded lamp post sleeves and using a tap,got both action screw holes to accept the sleeves.I don't have a lathe so I can't machine the pillars to match the action so I figure on keeping the pillars a little short and let the acraglass mate with the action and triggerguard."
" I threaded them thru the wooden stock.The original holes were close to being the right size so I just used a tap to cut threads for the sleeves (in the wood).Since the sleeves will be tied to the stock,I guess that I'll have to be sure that the screws don't touch the sleeves(pillars)."

The late Bob Pease of hunter class fame wrote a couple of articles about how to pillar bed using "poured" pillars. The method described seemed (arguable) to be the best of pillar bedding - if done properly. The upside is that anybody with a Dremel tool can do it. The downside is that anybody with a Dremel tool would have to do it cause you ain't gonna find anybody else that would.

Back