Spotting Scope Suggestion

M

millsjack

Looking for recommendations on a long-range shooting spotting scope.
I've been faithful to the Vortex and Emarth scope, but I'd like to hear some other suggestions.
Your ideas will be very helpful to me.

Thank You.

What is the target ?
Define "long range "?
Steel plates or paper score/group ?
The top of the line vortex work great for steel,
have not tried one for a paper target.
as has been mentioned top of the line
kowa.

Old school has me sporting a KOWA TS-1. It's not ED glass (primarily for low light conditions) but it really works well and is built like a tank.

What are you planning to use it for? see bullet holes? See mirage? what?? your scope is as good as you are going to get, but for seeing mirage that is a different story.... jim

I have had a Celestron Ultima 100 for about a dozen years and I love it. Everyone who tries it is impressed. I have looked through a bunch of scopes at many events and have yet to see one I like better. Optics planet has the angled eyepiece version for $349. You can get the Regal ED version for about $849. If you want to spend 2 grand for a prestige scope, than that's fine, but you don't have to in order to get good performance.

80mm front lens for long range at minimum, as mag goes up field of view goes down along with intensity of light transmission. back when I was still competing in the national highpower matches the Kowa 80mm x20-60 was the most used unit- the Konus of the same parameters was a close second later on.. remember that for most of these matches we were moving from 200 to 300 to 600 yards after each relay- and of course the long range were at 800-900-1000 yards.

I have long thought that Kowas were the best bang for the buck, but Swarovskis were the ultimate.

GsT

I have long thought that Kowas were the best bang for the buck, but Swarovskis were the ultimate.

GsT

The Fluorite Kowas are about as good as optics can get.
They also cost a LOT.

Their color rendition and contrast are simply unmatched.

The Kowa TSN-1 77mm w/ 25X LongEyeRelief eyepiece for competition work (200-1000yd)& 20-60X eyepiece for gazing has served me well for the last 30+ years.

The Leupold 20X & 25X Armored scopes have served me well Dall Sheep/Caribou/Moose hunting in Alaska for the past 30+ years.

Back