Sportwick For Resizing?

Joe

You know the stuff that I am talking about, it is probably packaged under several different names.
It is the stuff that office people and bank tellers use to keep their fingertips moistened for working with papers and money.
I have some of it at work and it seems like it is almost identical in texture to Imperial Die Sizing Wax at a fraction of the cost.
Has anyone ever tried it?

1. I haven't tried it.

2. I have, on the other hand, gotten a case stuck in a die. That was not fun.

3. Over the past 15 years, I've gone through about $20.00 in case lube. That's $1.33 a year -- one of the least expensive things in shooting.

BUT:

The big question is, how easy is it to get off? ISDW doesn't completely clean off by wiping it with a moist paper towel, unless that "moisture" is alcohol.

RCBS water soluable case lube does, with a bit of water or even spit.

If this stuff cleans off completely with water, it might be worth a try. Try sizing a dirty, oversized case (AKA factory chamber) with it & let us know.

RCBS for me, works better than Imperial.

I once took a small press and brass to work to size some cases during lunch. Forgot the lube. I did have a chapstick in my pocket, and thought, why not? Worked quite well!

1. I haven't tried it.

2. I have, on the other hand, gotten a case stuck in a die. That was not fun.

3. Over the past 15 years, I've gone through about $20.00 in case lube. That's $1.33 a year -- one of the least expensive things in shooting.

BUT:

The big question is, how easy is it to get off? ISDW doesn't completely clean off by wiping it with a moist paper towel, unless that "moisture" is alcohol.

RCBS water soluable case lube does, with a bit of water or even spit.

If this stuff cleans off completely with water, it might be worth a try. Try sizing a dirty, oversized case (AKA factory chamber) with it & let us know.

Charles,
I use 99% alcohol to wipe my cases after using imperial. Your drugist won't have it on the shelf. You'll have to have it ordered from him. I can't imagine anything doing a better job. It works equally well in your chamber and the raceways.

I use 99% alcohol to wipe my cases after using imperial. Your drugist won't have it on the shelf. You'll have to have it ordered from him. I can't imagine anything doing a better job. It works equally well in your chamber and the raceways.

Probably. I know a little about alcohol from when I was a kid and had to get all the water out of plant stems, to fill them with parafin so as to be able to to setion them in a microtome.

As soon as you take the top off the alcohol bottle it's no longer 99%. The stuff is terribly hydroscopic.

But it will work good for the purposes you mention. As will a lesser percentage.

Back