Source for Mitutoyo or equal .0001 indicator?

I'm looking for input on dial indicators
Would the Mitutoyo be the best for the money in the .0001 range?

Who are the sales reps in the U.S.?/ best source.
Looking for the long stem for long reach into bore as well

Tim,

Interapid indicators have a well deserved reputation for being about as good as you can get. You can buy their .0001 model (312 model or something like that) and put the long (2 7/8?) point on it for reaching a ways in. When you put the long point on, it changes the value of the movements. IIRC, an indicated .0001 movement is actually .0003...or something like that. One of the smart fella's will be along to give you the exact amounts.

Check out the below website for further info, opinions on Interapids, etc.

http://longislandindicator.com/

Justin

Tim,
Buy the interapid with the long reach,
it is only .0005. but the marks are wide,
you can easily read to 1/2 that or less.

Tim,
Buy the interapid with the long reach,
it is only .0005. but the marks are wide,
you can easily read to 1/2 that or less.

Tim,
I think Mr Maier has it right. The only reason for a .0001 indicator is to factually prove accuracy, like say a part has a tolerance of plus or minus .001, technically if your inspecting parts, your should have a gauge that has ten times the required accuracy. Or at least that's the way it was explained to me when we built gauges or when our parts were inspected by Rockwell missile division.
But as Mr Maier stated, with a .0005 indicator you can easily see much less than that. It's pretty hard to get a .0005 indicator perfectly still, unless you bottom it out.:) Plus if you have a .0001, your extreme range is 5 times less, that can mean a lot when your setting things up.
Charlie

Correct and i bought mine from the source listed above.
Sometime cheaper elsewhere..but i though not worth the chasing and waiting.

Thanks
From what I can find out the Intrepid .0005 is all I can find with a 2.75" long point
Is that right?

I like the idea of the 0.0001" Interapids model because you have the greater sensitivity with this model, with its standard point, than you do with the 0.0005" mode,l and you can still add the 2.75" long point for a sensitivity of ~0.0003". Not sure you can add a shorter point on the 0.0005" model to get a sensitvity closer to 0.0001".

I like the idea of the 0.0001" Interapids model because you have the greater sensitivity with this model, with its standard point, than you do with the 0.0005" mode,l and you can still add the 2.75" long point for a sensitivity of ~0.0003". Not sure you can add a shorter point on the 0.0005" model to get a sensitvity closer to 0.0001".

Going off memory here so I could be wrong, but I believe the accuracy for the .0001" and the long reach .0005" indicator are both +/- .0002". When you add the long stylus to the .0001", not only do you loose resolution, you also loose that accuracy. There is not much you can't do when barreling a bolt action with a .0005" DTI. If I could own only one DTI, without a doubt, it would be the long reach Interapid 74.111965. Tons of travel, lots of reach, nice spacing between the hash marks so it is easy to split and I do not find it over sensitive when bouncing over lands. Well worth the money, especially if you snatch one up while Enco is having a 30%-40% off sale.

Edit: When using a "grizzly" type rod, I do choke up on the stylus to gain resolution.

Last edited:
A very good friend of ours in the benchrest community did some test as to the accuracy of the more popular test indicators in the market. Intrepid wasn't the most accurate in his testing. Brown and Sharp was the clear winner. This is one test, of course but several examples of each of the best test indicators were used. . If this particular fella reads this im sure he will share. Lee

I believe, gentlemen, you are in error. When you increase the length of the stylus resolution goes up not down. .0001 movement on a .62 long stylus is about the same arc as .000025 movement on a 2.5" stylus. Hence approx. 4 times more resolution, trig. it out.
Gort

nope...the face of the dial stays the same.

skeet....do they make a long reach b&S....i think not...which is why the intrepid is used.
test a .0001 mitu at 2.75"......you cannot because the do not make one.
you have to remember the application.

I believe, gentlemen, you are in error. When you increase the length of the stylus resolution goes up not down. .0001 movement on a .62 long stylus is about the same arc as .000025 movement on a 2.5" stylus. Hence approx. 4 times more resolution, trig. it out.
Gort

The face of the dial remains the same but the arc of the stylus does not. As the lever arm becomes longer, the end of the lever must move farther to rotate the same arc.
Gort

Sir,
if you go to the long island source listed above, you will see that going from a 2.75" length indicator arm to a 5.5" length arm REDUCES indication from .0005 to .001. Some how i trust the companies selling the products over your opinion.

The face of the dial remains the same but the arc of the stylus does not. As the lever arm becomes longer, the end of the lever must move farther to rotate the same arc.
Gort

Gort - that the longer lever would have to move farther to get the same reading seems to be the opposite of what others are saying. I'm not a machinist in any capacity whatsoever so disregard my comment as neccesary.

Charlie H. - Help!!

The longer lever has to move farther to move the dial the same amount, hence greater resolution. However the marking on the dial have a lesser value. Example: if I have a stylus 1" long from the pivot to the center of the ball and I move the workpiece .005, the dial will register .005. If I change to a 2" stylus and move the workpiece .005 the dial will register .0025. It has greater resolution but the dial is not correct. To correct for the dial markings we must multiply the numeric values by the ratio of the stylus length increase, in the example above, you would double the values.
Gort

POST ALL YOU WANT.
You are contrary to the manufactures data.

The longer lever has to move farther to move the dial the same amount, hence greater resolution. However the marking on the dial have a lesser value. Example: if I have a stylus 1" long from the pivot to the center of the ball and I move the workpiece .005, the dial will register .005. If I change to a 2" stylus and move the workpiece .005 the dial will register .0025. It has greater resolution but the dial is not correct. To correct for the dial markings we must multiply the numeric values by the ratio of the stylus length increase, in the example above, you would double the values.
Gort

CMaier, If you would be kind enough to take a deep breath and read the post, you would see that I confirmed the manufacture's representatives advice. I am just giving the reason that it is so. BTW I have been Journeyman tool & die maker for 39 years.
Gort

So sorry
I guess i missed you admitting your error in all those words.

So the thing to do, is to buy a indicator with a long arm and not worry about calculating values ?

I think that is what has been said several times.

The value of the numbers are insignificant when indicating in a part, what you are looking for is equal or no movement of the needle at each point.

Back