Something outside the box

scott1119

What are some different rifles someone can use in 22 benchrest besides the norm of Anschutz, 40x, Winchester 52, Suhl and the customs, Something more affordable but still competive? Any ideas?

I just picked up a Cooper 57M TRP3 with a 36X Weaver and Signature Rings for a very reasonable price. It was advertised as unfired. Got the box and test target, which was literally one hole. I function tested it Saturday off a sub-standard rest and still got a very impressive five shot group with Lapua Center-X. I'll be using Tenex in the future, so I have high hopes.

What are some different rifles someone can use in 22 benchrest besides the norm of Anschutz, 40x, Winchester 52, Suhl and the customs, Something more affordable but still competive? Any ideas?
It would help knowing what kind of br shooting you'll be doing. Also what you consider affordable.
I see many older br rifles at matches for sale that I would consider reasonable. Both factory, re-barreled factory, & customs that have fallen out of favor for decent prices. They may or may not be competitive with what their owners are using now.
I started out shooting a Savage MKII be cause its what I had. Took my licks at first until I got some wind flags & better ammo. Then started not finishing last. Had fun doing it.
You can compete with whatever you choose. Go to some matches & see what others are using. Maybe borrow somebody's equipment.
But in the end you'll likely need one of the rifles you've mentioned to be truly competitive. And it isn't cheap.

Keith

I just picked up a Cooper 57M TRP3 with a 36X Weaver and Signature Rings for a very reasonable price. It was advertised as unfired. Got the box and test target, which was literally one hole. I function tested it Saturday off a sub-standard rest and still got a very impressive five shot group with Lapua Center-X. I'll be using Tenex in the future, so I have high hopes.

Hope to see you at Country Pond Fish & Game next year!!
Keith

It would help knowing what kind of br shooting you'll be doing. Also what you consider affordable.
I see many older br rifles at matches for sale that I would consider reasonable. Both factory, re-barreled factory, & customs that have fallen out of favor for decent prices. They may or may not be competitive with what their owners are using now.
I started out shooting a Savage MKII be cause its what I had. Took my licks at first until I got some wind flags & better ammo. Then started not finishing last. Had fun doing it.
You can compete with whatever you choose. Go to some matches & see what others are using. Maybe borrow somebody's equipment.
But in the end you'll likely need one of the rifles you've mentioned to be truly competitive. And it isn't cheap.

Keith

This is not for me, I shoot a Anschutz 54 1413 supermatch, Im looking for a way to support young and beginning shooter to get into the sport. Our club shoots IR50.

This is not for me, I shoot a Anschutz 54 1413 supermatch, Im looking for a way to support young and beginning shooter to get into the sport. Our club shoots IR50.

The Anschutz 54 is a good rifle to start young people in Benchrest shooting.
The 54 Supermatch is fine as long as you find the model with dovetails front and rear.
some models have a dovetail at the rear only?
I get our juniors started at 25 yds as with basic kit and cheaper Ammo (SKMagizine)they can get good scores from the beginning.
With some Anschutz 54 rifles making LV can be a problem, the older model anschutz biathlon rifles make very good starter rifles
and can be capable of shooting well in top company. John F.

Remington 540x or540xr annie 64 style action units , and really out side the box some of the older single shots say late 50 early 60's are outstandingly accurate, trigger are so so. I have a pair that load with a bolt, but to fire you need to pull the cocking piece back manually- I don'r remember the mfg names on them right now. triggers break clean in these two that i have. They will be perfect for teaching my twin grandsons in a couple more years. they ran me about $35 ea a few yeas ago.Right now they reduce the chipmunk and gopher population with CCI CB longs or Quiet rnds. Dang things make less noise than some of my HP airguns.

I also have a Weihrauch position rifle. It has a superb trigger and a match grade barrel. The stock, while beautiful, is not right for benchrest. I have thought that with a proper stock and tuner this would be competitive in IR 50/50. These can be had for around $1100 in good shape.

Also, my Savage MK II thumbhole shoots way above its price range. I added weight to the stock and lightened the trigger. With an Osprey 10-40X scope it does very well shooting Center-X. I'll try it with Tenex and maybe add a tuner. Time Precision tuners are quite reasonable.

I do plan to come to Country Pond a few times in 2018 at least.

CZ 452 or 455 with the heavy barrel, we have a guy that shoots our 50/50 shoots that kicks our butts with his 452! For the cost I don’t think you can find another off the shelf rifle that will equal the performance.

Back