Smokeless Powder Shipping

I

idaho bruce

I am looking for any information on shipping smokeless gun powder between individuals. I have contacted UPS and FEDEX and they have advised that I must have a "licence" and and account to ship through them. I have a goodly quantity of 8208 pull down powder (different manufacturers, i.e. WCC, LC etc...) that I would like to sell if I can find a way to ship the stuff legally. Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Ups and fedex "counter fronts" or stores probably cannot handle it, BUT
their larger hubs/local distribution center can. Call them.
Just proper packaging/labeling...oh and paying the "hazmat" bs fee.

I am looking for any information on shipping smokeless gun powder between individuals. I have contacted UPS and FEDEX and they have advised that I must have a "licence" and and account to ship through them. I have a goodly quantity of 8208 pull down powder (different manufacturers, i.e. WCC, LC etc...) that I would like to sell if I can find a way to ship the stuff legally. Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Bruce,
You need to call the UPS main hub there and ask them. They may have someone there to do it for a fee. And the last I looked to get a civilian hazmat cert was around a cool grand and that is why we pay a hazmat fee.
matt

Me thinks you pay the tax(fee) if you have a lic/permit or not.
ask any major shipper like powder valley....yes if ups/fedex,
no if a truck shipment.....

Me thinks you pay the tax(fee) if you have a lic/permit or not.
ask any major shipper like powder valley....yes if ups/fedex,
no if a truck shipment.....

Powder Valley has on there payroll someone who prepares there shippers decs. That person is certifying that the shippment and all documentations are done per 49CFR for civilian and with proper iata/icao labels.

I was a hazmat prepare and certifier for the Air Force.

Last edited:
The point was they STILL PAY HAZMAT FOR FEDEX AND UPS SHIPMENTS.
Why , if they have a cert person. Simple it is a tax on gun owners by the 2 carriers.
Trucking companies do not charge the fee.

Powder Valley has on there payroll someone who prepares there shippers decs. That person is certifying that the shippment and all documentations are done per 49CFR for civilian and with proper iata/icao labels.

I was a hazmat prepare and certifier for the Air Force.

The point was they STILL PAY HAZMAT FOR FEDEX AND UPS SHIPMENTS.
Why , if they have a cert person. Simple it is a tax on gun owners by the 2 carriers.
Trucking companies do not charge the fee.

Bruce old friend I am sorry to let this thread go this route. If you need help give me a call.

CMaier you can call it "tax on gun owners" if that makes you happy.

Thanks to all for the information.....greatly appreciated....
Bruce

an analysis of hazmat fees reveals that they were designed to ensure safety shipping anything that might be hazardous inspite of the fact there is almost no history of fire, or explosion related to most products- primers powders , aerosols etc. Seem like the whole thing is simply a cash cow.

an analysis of hazmat fees reveals that they were designed to ensure safety shipping anything that might be hazardous inspite of the fact there is almost no history of fire, or explosion related to most products- primers powders , aerosols etc. Seem like the whole thing is simply a cash cow.

It's called legal extortion.

Back