Slug Barrels

Rflshootr

Anybody have a recomendation for a rifled slug barrel for an 870 express 12 gauge?
Factory barrel or a Hastings or maybe another brand? Thanks

I have found that factory Remington slug barrels with proper slugs loads, will do just fine. BR accuracy no, hunting accuracy yes. With a decent scope you can clover leaf slugs out to 100 yards. It is no fun doing load development with 12 gauge slug loads.

I have loaded Hasting slugs now for about 5-6 years. I have shot them out of 2 different Rem 870's, 1100 and an 11-87. I load for my Uncle who uses a rifled Mossberg. We have had absolutely no problem filling all of our tags.

Taxman

That brings up another question............What powder do you use and had the most success with for loading slugs?

I use a Rem 20" slug barrel

On my 11-87, I mounted a cantilever scope mounted Rem rifled slug barrel years ago. Using several types of sabot slugs (Rem, Win, others) this combo gives 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yds. It has never missed a deer and I get at least one a season. This is a deadly combo.

best, nrb

I am currently shooting an 11-87 with a Simmons 3x9.

I have been using clear Federal 3" new cases, 44.0 grains of Blue Dot, you can go up more if you choose. I find the recoil too sharp for little performance gains.

This load is rough out of an 870. If you can handle the recoil, it will shoot.

Best combo I have found for accuracy in numerous rifled barrels.

Last year I became the tag filler. 1 deer had to be tracked out of 12. Most dropped where they were hit, devastating. The one that was tracked was a poor shot on my part.

3 years ago, I shot a 200lb 8 pointer, he took three jumps and done. This was at 80 paces, perfect shot, the slug was just under the hide on the off side.

I cannot say enough good about the Hastings slugs. The owners are great to deal with as well.

I purchased the metal roll crimp, a case vise and the primed hulls from BPI.

Compress the powder charge on conventional shot shell press and immediately roll crimp. I use a drill press set on the lowest speed you can. Preheat the roll crimp with propane torch and you are off & running or shooting.

Where I live in central NYS, our County just went to rifle hunting last year. The farm I hunt is still shotgun only(owners wishes) Most of our shots are out to 100 and less. With my current combination, I feel I give up nothing in the woods.

Good luck!!!

Slug Barrels for Remingtons

I have a 20" Hastings on my 870. I also have a no drill Aimtec scope base with a Leupold 4X Shotgun scope. I have shot BRI Sabots, Winchster Sabots, Remington Sabots, Federal Sabots, Hornaday Sabots, all shoot with exceptable accuracy to 100 yards. The newer 50 caliber plated sabots will give acceptable accuracy to 150-200 yards. My gun has has harvested, deer, bear, and moose with single shots. My outfiller laughed when he saw me pull my shotgun out of the case. He was a little more impressed at the target range. The was so impressed in the field that he bought one for himself. I carry mine as a backup gun in Alaska when fishing.
Rustystud

Back