Sightron with lock screw

BARTMAN

Ok just wondered about the locking screw on this scope I bought. Anyone know who might have done the work? and will it work right without using the screw? And do they remove anything inside? and what about the gas that is inside?

Bartman,
I'm not a Sightron expert, but I think the way it works is that you loosen the screw and make your adjustments and then snug it back up once the adjustments are made, and go from there. As for gas being inside? I've heard they purged the scopes with nitrogen to get rid of any moisture that might be inside to prevent fogging, but I'd doubt any of them have any pressurized gas left inside them when they hit the store shelves. I may be wrong, maybe someone who knows will come along. Try posting this on the centerfire forum.
Jackie Schmidt has taken a bunch of different scopes apart and froze the inside components to use adjustable mounts. Merry Christmas!!

Ok just wondered about the locking screw on this scope I bought. Anyone know who might have done the work? and will it work right without using the screw? And do they remove anything inside? and what about the gas that is inside?

The screw sits against the erector tube to give it a positive lock. It could have been any of several people who did it but Ron Hoehn did quite a few, but I can't remember if his had one screw or two. Most likely it's simply a threaded hole and nothing has been removed since that's probably the most simple fix. It should work as it always did without the screw. Whether that's right or not I don't know because somebody saw a reason to put the screw in there. One thing you may find is if you adjust the scope then tighten the screw, it may not have the same POA. The screw can move it a little.

Although many people would have you believe it is, the nitrogen is not an issue.

Thanks guys , I bought this scope from Killough and was just wondering. It seems to work fine. I just zeroed it and snugged the screw and did fine

Bartman,
Good luck with it. A friend of mine had a scope like that on a Calfee Turbo and he loved it. I think he still has it on it, and it's a winner.

I don't know about yours but I have two of them one you just loosen it with your fingers, the other you have to have a allen wrench to loosen or tighten just have to remember to have that dang wrench handy..................
Gary

Back