Sierra to make a tipped Match King

I think that polymer tipped bullets were designed so that the tips don't get battered by recoil while in the magazine. Bench rest rifles I've seen are all single shot. But I get what you are asking, you would think they would fly better with the nice uniform tip wouldn't you? Maybe Bart is too busy shooting in the ditch to be gluing in the little tips?

The tips, first commercially offered by Nosler, are supposed to improve the BC. No clue if they do or not, but that's the theory.

As for tips and precision shooting, it seems to me they'd add another variable (seating, concentricity, etc). For the hell of it I'll try these in my heavy 308 and see how they do. For my comp 6's though, I'm sticking with traditional target bullets.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

In 2003 I did testing for Sierra. I installed their tips in MK's from 22 cal. to 338. Tips do several things. First they increase the BC on average between 2-3%. More importantly when shooting 600 yds. and further they remove most of the BC spread.

Ain't competition grand. After a decade they decide to do it now.

Dave

Last edited:
I've toured both Hornady and Sierra's plant. Hornady was much more sensitive to their process of inserting their plastic tips as opposed to Sierra. Hornady would not show their process to us but Sierra did. I also felt that Sierra's hospitality was much better. I do wish Sierra's pricing was more in line with Hornady's.

Back