Sierra Bullets/ Pro hunter/game king

G

galold

What is the difference between the Sierra game king, and pro-hunter? Do these bullets have near the accuracy as Match-kings? I will be getting a custom .270 soon that I will be using for mule deer here in Utah. Has anybody tried either of these?

GameKings are Sierras premier hunting bullets. They are mostly soft points and a few hollow points and most are boattails. Pro Hunter bullets are all flat based. None of these are manufactured to the same close tolerances of the MatchKings. You will need to check and see what shoots best in your rifle. If you like Sierras, I would suggest trying the 140gr GameKing as it is one of their best all around offerings for a 270.:D

I've found no real difference other than you got to feed the gun what it likes, i've got a 270 win that likes 130 GK's or 110 PH ,,,,,,,,my 270 WSM shoots 130 PH or 110 PH better than the 130 or 140 GK's go figure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The Game King has a slightly better BC than the Pro Hunter, meaning it should maintain it's velocity a little further down range, but it is not necessarily more accurate, especially at normal shooting ranges. I can't tell the difference in accuracy between the flat base Pro Hunter and the Game King out to 300 yards under field conditions. It is difficult to manufacture a boattail with bullet-to-bullet consistency like a flat base. Obviously, it can be done. That's what the Match Kings and custom bullets are for. Unfortunately, most of them are designed for punching holes in paper without regard to terminal performance in game after impact. The ones that do that are more expensive. I've shot mule deer beyond 300 yards, and doping the wind accurately is always more important than the BC of the bullet. You can write down your hold-over for long range shots on an index card on your stock to compensate for bullet drop. Doping wind is a little trickier. Mule deer won't notice any difference in your bullet's BC, but the flat base Pro Hunter holds together better after impact than the Game King.

I have a 270 Winchester that I have had for 35 years and a 270 Weatherby magnum that I bought a few years ago. I always shot the 130 Sierra boattails in the 270 with pretty good results. Sierra bullets have been accurate in all of my rifles over the years. When I bought the 270 w
Weatherby, I stocked up on both the Gameking and the ProHunter 130 grain bullets. Both were equally accurate at the range. I had a box of 110 grain ProHunters on the shelf so I played with them until I found a load with the same point of impact at 100 yards as the 130 grain bullets. The load probably was in the 3500 fps range I would guess. I have been shooting 100 grain bullets in a 25-06 to over 3300 fps with excellent results on mulies so I threw some of the 110 grain bullets in my magazine of the weatherby and a handfull of 130 grainers in my pack in case I decided on a long shot. Lo and behold, a nice buck jumped up in front of me as I topped a rise and I caught him behind the shoulder on a quartering away shot. He fell dead in his tracks at maybe 75 yards. I thought to myself that I probably ruined half of the meat but when I quarted him out to pack, there was very little loss to bloodshot. I am now sold on the 110 grain ProHunter. Last season I took a nice 4x4 at 200 yards with a single shot to the shoulder with a 110 grain Barnes Triple Shock with the 270 Winchester. That buck dropped faster than any of the probably 20 bucks I have taken with that rifle with 130 grain bullets. I am probably never going back to a 130 grain bullet until I go for elk. The last 7 bucks I have taken have been with single shots with either 100 or 110 grain bullets at high velocity with virtually no lost meat which I would have never believed. Tom

Sierra Bullets

The Rifle will tell you what it likes. For my Hunting Rifles I try some of the Proven Hunting Bullets. Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw is 1st choice, followed by Barnes Triple-Shock and Swift A-Frame as well as Sierra and Hornady. Any of these as well as others will do the job. Let the Rifle choose.

The Gameking will shed its core much easier than the ProHunter. The PH definitely holds up better, but either will kill a deer with NO problem.

Galold: I do not know the answer to your specific question! Having never used either of the two bullets you mentioned on Mule Deer.
I have though, used the wonderful 27 caliber Nosler 130 gr. Ballistic Tips on Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer and Antelope.
I have made quite an impressive run of one shot kills on all these Game types at ranges out to 506 yards (Leica lasered - on Antelope!) over the last many years.
I have taken two Mule Deer at ranges just past 400 yards with this caliber and bullet as well.
I Hunt a majority of the time on public lands here in Montana and use a Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester with a Leupold 8.5x25 variable scope on it.
Be sure to try this excellent bullet in your 270 - it seems to work as well at extended ranges as it does at modest ranges!
Best of luck to you with the new Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I have also taken one 6x6 Bull Elk with this bullet.

Back