Shoulder bumping

M

Martin Busteed

I am new to the 6ppc. I am knowticing that my bolt is getting harder to close on the cases and that the cases are sticking in the wilson sizing die that I had cut with the chamber reamer. Does anyone know if the redding small base body die will bump the shoulder ok or should I have a bump die made to suite my chamer?

I am new to the 6ppc. I am knowticing that my bolt is getting harder to close on the cases and that the cases are sticking in the wilson sizing die that I had cut with the chamber reamer. Does anyone know if the redding small base body die will bump the shoulder ok or should I have a bump die made to suite my chamer?

Get in touch with lynwood Harrell at Harrell's Precision. They'll have you send them several fired cases, and they'll match a FL die to them. I suggest that you start over with fresh cases once you have your die, set it up to move the shoulder back between .001 & .002, and resize every firing.

-Dave-:)

Martin;
If you used the chamber reamer to cut a sizing die how does that die ever reduce the diameters at the shoulder/body intersection and at the datum?? If you push a fired case into a chamber sized die there will be little if any actual sizing done. You can use the chamber reamer to cut a seater but it won't make a workable sizer.

Mike Swartz

Because the die is reamed deeper than the chamber.

I get what you mean now. The die is a bushing die- sizes the neck only.

The bottom line is that neck dies and bump dies have been replaced by closely fitted (moving minimal brass) FL dies. Harrell dies are made with small incremental differences on CNC equipment for the PPC and BR calibers.
When you send Lynwood a tight fired case, he will use it to select the proper sizing die for your PPC from a dozen or more versions that he has sitting on the shelf. These dies are a bargain, and are very commonly seen at matches, because they work so well. Bump dies do not address one of the two areas where cases get tight, just above the solid head of the case, and for that reason are not of much use to shooters who shoot PPCs at what have become normal pressures. If you are going to work with a small set of cases, you are better off using a FL die, that fits, every firing, and closely monitoring shoulder bump (as compared with a tight case).

Back