Should I use middle action screw with Stolle Panda, heavy barrels

rooshooter

I have a Stolle Panda (sporterweight with no integral recoil lug)which has started shooting erraticly lately, which I have put down to a bedding problem. I have been using straight no taper 28-30" 7mm barrels on it which I am asuming would have screwed the bedding up a bit. So far only the front and rear action screws have been used, with the middle thread hole epoxied off. Do any of you use the middle action thread as well and run 3 action screws on Pandas with heavy barrels?

Last edited:
Have you looked into using a barrel block? I have several no taper barrels from a 1.250, 1.350, 1.450 that all use blocks and have had no trouble with them (action bedding issues that is).The block takes the stress off the action.

Roger, I like the idea of bedding blocks and TonyZ will be building one up for me soon using a Rem 700 action. In the meantime, I will be using this action with my shorter (but still heavy) 22BR, 6PPC 284 and 30BR barrels, so I need to be able to change barrels.

I have a Stolle Panda which has started shooting erraticly lately, which I have put down to a bedding problem. I have been using straight no taper 28-30" 7mm barrels on it which I am asuming would have screwed the bedding up a bit. So far only the front and rear action screws have been used, with the middle thread hole epoxied off. Do any of you use the middle action thread as well and run 3 action screws on Pandas with heavy barrels?

You would have a better setup if you glued and screwed the action in place. The rear screw is not best used for holding the action in place. Best to use it to hold the trigger guard in place.

If you will install pillars for all 3 screws, then rebed, then glue, torquing the rear screw not over 15 in/lb while torquing the front and middle screws somewhere around 35-50 in/lbs the gun will be more stable. In precision applications, the action screws should not be used for primary holding but just for stability.

The Stolle Panda is one of the most rigid actions available for target use but still it will give you better service if glued and screwed.

My first 1K yd. rifle was a long Panda with a 29" 1.350 fluted barrel on it. No problems with the bedding using just the rear and front screw. I used the tang area as the recoil lug. I would look other places before I started tearing it apart.

Personally I think bedding is used as scape goat most of the time.

Dave

My first 1K yd. rifle was a long Panda with a 29" 1.350 fluted barrel on it. No problems with the bedding using just the rear and front screw. I used the tang area as the recoil lug. I would look other places before I started tearing it apart.

Dave
Speaking of a long Panda, I know someone who has a very nice and slick Stolle Teddy for sale. This would make a great rig for 600/1K.

I should have got the long Panda, but I didnt know about them at the time. Ive had this action for a lot of years so I dont even think they had a long range version back then and a new one is out of my budget at the moment.
The reason I am thinking it is the bedding is that the action screws have come loose a few times and it is looking and feeling uneven in some areas where solvent has gotten in and settled. I have a few different barrels for this action and some of the ones which shot great a few years ago, are not shooting anywhere near as well now, even though I havent used some of them much since I had all the big heavy barrels on it. Tried different scopes as I had scope problems a while ago as well. If I shoot realy mild loads through it, it is not too bad, but if I crank up to the velocities I was running, it shoots erraticly. I would like it glued in just in case.

Last edited:

Dave

Rooshooter,

Dave is right in his thinking.

Before doing anything to the gun, give it the old dial indicator test.

Span a dial indicator between your gun barrel and stock forend, slowly tighten and loosen your existing screws from full torque, while watching the dial indicator, if the indicator moves more than a couple of .001", then your bedding is bad.

If bedding is bad, then glue and pillar screw using all 3 fastener attachments as Jerry has suggested. Problem solved forever..............Don

Back