Shorten bar barrel....????

B.Larson

i`m thinking of cutting about 2" off my beloved Belgian BAR.It`s a 30-06 and am worried about the gas stystem still working with the shorter barrel....

You may have to open up the gas port if you do that. For example on the Remington 742 30-06 rifles it is a .086" (#44) hole and .089" (#43) on the carbine.

"my beloved Belgian BAR"

Let's see now. Browning designed it and you want to modify it. Very interesting.

i`m thinking of cutting about 2" off my beloved Belgian BAR.It`s a 30-06 and am worried about the gas stystem still working with the shorter barrel....

Should not make any difference, the gas port block is located appx. 12 inches up the barrel from the bolt face, gas system is well pressurized and actuated before bullet exits barrel crown.

Ive variable ported a .308 BAR in order to reduce case extraction throw and it takes quite a bit of port variation to alter extractor effect.

I have cut off about 15 of the BAR barrels in my shop. Don't worry they will cycle fine. Boe

I have cut off about 15 of the BAR barrels in my shop. Don't worry they will cycle fine. Boe

Boe....Thank You for useful information....... unlike others.... who still think the world is flat.......
I`m gonna try it........

Last edited:
"my beloved Belgian BAR"

Let's see now. Browning designed it and you want to modify it. Very interesting.

He's talking about a modern BAR hunting rifle. John Moses never touched that one. Anyway, I used to hunt with a friend used a shortened BAR sporter 30-06 & he had no problem.

Even if he were talking about a 1918 BAR, I've read that back in the 30's, Bonnie & Clyde would shorten BAR's to make them more concealable and these were very functional. They called them "whipit" guns - they could "whip it" out quickly.

Regards, Ron

That's probably where Devo got their idea......

Then Michael Jackson took it from there.....

And so, "the Song Remains the Same"

lol
al

Thanks for your help Al..... another waste of cyber space......

And to make it even worse B...... I'm replying. We might just run out of space before I run out of ways to waste your time.....luckily for you there are more of you than there are of me :)

You'll win in the end. You're winning now.

Happy, Happy, Happy

al

Cut that Browning BAR barrel down to 18" - Ha!

I remember those Rem 742 and 760 carbines in .30-06 that were used in Vermont years ago.
They were really loud ....

I never did understand why any one would want one.
Especially after firing a few rounds.

Glenn

Back