short barrels

What length barrels seem to work best?

Thanks

John,
Tim pretty much said it with "if the blank allows". A custom rifle being built with a barrel blank of any quality at all, will have a tapered bore in it created by hand lapping it before it is shipped. The 'more' constriction end should be towards the muzzle, normally. A good smith that knows what he is doing will slug the barrel and decide where to cut it for optimum performance as to where he wants that constriction to be. Depending on the blank length, the appropriate cut length will vary. There is no certain length that is best. It's barrel dependent, just like finding the best lot of ammo.
Hope this helps.

24 inch

I know some smith's will always cut a barrel to 24" or close to it if possible from the blank. Their thinking is that they have a very close tune number that works at that length that they shouldn't be but just a few clicks of the tuner away if the barrel will shoot. I understand this logic completely and it may be mistakenly, but I try to get as much as I can out of any blank that I do and just work towards tune from there.

Tad

Back