Shooting Technique

tigman250

Hello all, I have been a shooter since I was a boy but never a very good one, I have been putting more emphasis on accuracy lately and have some questions. First off some history, 15 or so years ago I purchased a Ruger M77 MK II chambered in .243, with its factory barrel about the best I could average was 1.75"-2.0" at 100 yds. Over the winter months I rebarreled it with a Krieger barrel, lapped the lugs and pillar bedded it. It's down to about a 1.0"-1.25" gun on average now but still fairly inconsistent, it's averaging smaller groups but when shooting 5 groups of 5 shots I typically get groups ranging 2" to 1/2" so it's obvious at this point it's not the guns fault....

OK, I know this is not a bench rest rifle, it's been kind of a project rifle, it's main job will be punching holes in paper and occasionally taking whitetail. I built it to use as a tool to help improve me as a shooter. I have no formal training, have been shooting all my life but am sure my technique is terrible. I am currently using a lead sled (no weight) as my rest, I have tried free recoil method (except the lead sled captures the butt) and it yields the worst groups. I have tried light holds both on rear grip and on forearm, groups improved but my best groups come with fairly heavy pressure pulling rifle into my shoulder with grip/trigger hand and pulling down on forearm but with the heavy pressure I get both vertical and horizontal stringing. I also tried using my bipod with a rear low ear bag but the lead sled with heavy pressure still yields the best groups.... but still huge size ranges. So what am I doing wrong? What technique works best for a hunting rifle off of a rest? how can I shrink my group size consistency? Is a stand alone front mechanical rest and rear bag better than the lead sled? Is there good literature on technique, books or articles? I would really like to join a shooting group but live in a very rural area, unfortunately that type of thing just isn't available. I have also notice as I age (turning 40 this year) that my heartbeat is much more noticeable in the crosshairs now than when I was younger, is it possible I just am not cut out to shoot .5" groups consistently lol?

specs
Ruger MK II .243 Krieger 1-8 barrel 27" long (considering shortening it) 2lb crisp trigger, Hornady hand loads, Leupold VX III 3.5 x 10 x 50.

Thanks for your time and help!
Craig

Working on your loading techniques and practice is what will help. I mean meaningful practice thats using wind flags and the best rest you can afford. Youll never get better shooting at a paper plate using a lead sled on the hood of a truck. Id say youd be miles ahead if you found a mentor in your area. Just discussing things can advance you years. Thats not the guy folks talk about that kills deers at 800yd offhand with his 742 i mean a real competition shooter. If you fill out your profile and tell us where you are we can find somebody to help you out.

Working on your loading techniques and practice is what will help. I mean meaningful practice thats using wind flags and the best rest you can afford. Youll never get better shooting at a paper plate using a lead sled on the hood of a truck. Id say youd be miles ahead if you found a mentor in your area. Just discussing things can advance you years. Thats not the guy folks talk about that kills deers at 800yd offhand with his 742 i mean a real competition shooter. If you fill out your profile and tell us where you are we can find somebody to help you out.

Thanks Dusty, I certainly agree with finding a mentor, I filled out my profile but to save you the trouble I am from "the thumb" of Michigan

Your ammo might not be what that setup likes. What are you using.
Also go over everything a second time.
Make sure things are tight.
Make sure your barrel is free floating.
Make sure your scope has no paralax. As in when you move your head the retical doesnt move.

Some times it something over looked that is an easy fix.

One question, Are you shooting over wind flags? If your answer is no, then that is the first place to start. Without seeing your setup, there could be about 1000 things that are causing your groups to be inconsistent.

Also, getting a factory gun to shoot under 1" all the time isn't gonna just happen by chance, it's going to take some work.

I live about a hundred miles west of you. If I can be of any help send me a PM and we can chat.

Joe Hynes

IMO, your biggest problem is the action. A 77 Ruger with that angled stock screw is the killer. Get an action that is designed for accuracy like a Rem 700, or better, a custom or semi custom, like a Kelbly Atlas and start from there....or come join us in this infernal accuracy benchrest.

I'm thinking that your rifle is the main cause of those poor groups. Other things you're doing affect accuracy as well but you just can't make an inch rifle shoot smaller with any type of rest, bag, etc....

Actually, the rifle is doing exactly what it's built to do.

Errors compounded

It's rarely ever one thing that makes a plane crash or a rifle shoot inaccurately. I agree with the previous posts. All the little things that cause problems when compounded on one another create a problem greater than their sum. It's like 1+1 = 3.4 Known as the super additive effect. Usually correcting one of the issues on its own makes a barely measurable difference. Once you have the rifle issues sorted then you can concentrate of shooting technique.
Andy.

Back