shooting between heartbeats

I

ifldned

I can see where a hunter trying to bag his first buck is going to get very nervous, or in a match situation when everything is on the line with one shot. The tension builds during the match and ones heart rate might increase. But don't the most experienced shooters actually slow their heartbeats while shooting. And instead of getting nervous top shooters cultivate a state of deep calmness. Does shooting between heartbeats a factor for a top benchrest shooter?
ifldned

The bottom line is no. Everyone is shooting off a very, very stable rest. Most everyone is shooting in a way that only their index finger is touching the rifle and then only long enough to apply about 2 oz of pressure.

The late Malcolm Cooper, ISSF smallbore & 300 metre champion, designer of the Accuracy International rifle system was able to control his heartbeat so that at the time of firing, it would drop to a pulse rate of 24. That gave him a window of over 2 seconds while the bloodstream was relaxed to get his shot off.

I would love to know if this slowing of the heart was a documented event or more of a folklore event.

I'm definitely NOT calling any BS here, I believe it could be true but since the test to prove it definitively was so simple, anybody ever see it, or see it in anybody else?

some benchrest competitions in the UK call for no rear bag to be used but you your can use your fist to support the butt of the rifle. when doing this you can feel your pulse rate through the rifle and can see this through the scope, slowing you pulse rate can help when pulling the shot, pritty much the same as hunters so or snipers. a way round this is to use a glove so that it dappens the pulse through the rifle.

andyD

prown shooter here! The heart beat is overcome by using the pressure build to break the shot, IE the pulse (mine) is from about 5:30 to 11:30 and the shot is broken whent hepressure is in the LET-OFF phase, the pressure build will result in the shot going out of the "X"
Clarence
PS long distance runners have a rested beat of about 35 to 40 I have not heard of anything loger but maybe Yoga practicioners??

On a more serious note...

I have read a book on pistol shooting by a Russian who was very expert. A long time ago, sorry, I forget the Title and author's name. A comprehensive and lengthy book. He spoke of it. And in hunting, while sitting, waiting and watching through the scope, I can see the scope move with the heart beat. I have never reached that level where I can slow my heart beat on command, but I will try and time when I pull the trigger.

Among other things I shoot position smallbore.
I am absolutely aware of my heartbeat.
I definitely observe its effect on my point of aim on target and time my shot release appropriately.
If the timing is off the shot is off.
If you are not doing this you are not aware enough of how you are shooting.

Well, the question was " Does (Is?) shooting between heartbeats a factor for a top benchrest shooter?" and the answer was "no". I shoot IR50/50 and ARA and a two piece rest is used in most classes. Some benchrest matchs use a one piece rest. I do know a condition can change in a heartbeat. Thats the only heartbeat I worry about.
Mike (M J Cummings)

A heart rate of 26 is not compatible with life. A resting pulse rate in the mid 30's in runners is not uncommon. Some individuals have the ability to concentrate, relax and lower their heart rates to a much lower level than when active but not below the mid 30's. Certain medications such as Beta Blockers will also slow the heart rate but they are banned in Olympic competition. A 3rd degree A-V heart block will also slow the heart rate to a very low rate but the individual will usually be unconscious.

Back