Shooting at regular intervals, its importance and the needed tools.

D

deffie

Hello everyone, finally i'm getting some reliable equipment, ammo and technique and i've been able to observe nicely the effects of variation of temperature of the barrel (thanks to the season too :p).

I've always noticed that nice shooters have a good habit in this sense, you hear them shoot regularly, some are using a timer, others are relying on their experience.

I've took a look around and i've seen some plain timers and some specific shot-timers like the CED8000 which is an ipsc timer that can "hear" your shot and start counting from it.

The stone has been thrown :p (Let me hide the hand)

Ciao,
Giacomo.

deffie, once the tempeture drops below 40 degrees you can set your timer to it, 1 second for every degree below that. in other words when it's 30 degrees you better have your shots off in 30 seconds or less, anything longer messes with accuracy

It doesn't matter in rimfire; it might in centerfire. The best target I ever shot was less than three minutes. 25 shots on an ARA target and it was just a hair short of a 2500. I've shot several 2400 and 2450's in very short times. It's just the condition. Usually, if a shooter seems to shoot so fast that when they get up you think they've quit, that shooter will have a heck of a target. I don't know of any shooters who "time" their shots as shooting at some regular interval would almost assure you a poor score or drive you nuts keeping up with the condition. They shoot the condition and depending on the condition, you may use varying amounts of time to complete the target. Most matches are 20 minute limits or close for 25 bulls. You may see a good shooter shoot his last bull in the last five seconds. He probably did well. Then you may see the same shooter shoot the entire target in 2-3 minutes. Just go ahead and give him that one because most of the time he will have a great target.

The timers you see in rimfire are generally there to keep up with the 20 minute time limit. Don't want to run out of time

What Beau said with one exception, if I'm shooting a target and the conditions turn bad for a long period of time, a minute or more, I'll go to a sighter to burn a round before I test the condition again and then go back to the record bulls.

diffie, I suspect what your asking has to do with a shooting discipline other than bench, silhouette allows 30 seconds and other criteria depending on if a fouling shot has been fired, same holds true for other disciplines that are governed by nra rules. the rules are very specific 30 seconds that's why timers are used. if the international rules follow nra then limits on how many minuets to complete a course are usually enforced. our club holds a number of nra sanctioned events and times are indeed enforced. the best part once practice is over and a fouling shot then all shots count, I like that rule..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back