Shooting and RX Glasses.

Was this helpful?

• Total voters
E

ExtremeGunCare

Hello All,

I have been a certified ABO Optician and physically Manufactured glasses for numerous years. With in the past two months, I step out of the field. I worked for two of the top 15 Optical Companies in the nation and took pride in being one of their top Opticians dealing in Shooter RX.

I have contemplated in creating my own lab to just service the Shooter Industry. I am a shooter, and until 2008 when I had Lasik, I wore glasses since I was 5. I was OD -2.00 -1.75 axis 180, OS -1.75 -1.50 axis 70.

I was the go to person in my company in dealing with Shooters. Pending on your RX and what base cure you had been accustom to would dictate the kind of wrap/base curve you could go into for shooting glasses. Also pending your RX would dictate the kind of base material one should use. As far as tint, that is strictly a personal preference.

A very good rule of thumb is: If you have the means, always choose your thinner option in plastics. There are High Index Plastic Lenses, typically a 1.56, 1.60, 1.66, 1.67, 1.74. Single Vision should always go for the 1.66 because it is the most durable out of all the high indexes. A high end Progressive lens, say Variloux series, go for the 1.74 option. Your Line Bifocal, most of the time, comes in the 1.60.

I am always a fan of Polycarbonate because of the impact resistant capabilities it has. I say that because most people tend to be very hard on their shooting glasses. But the draw back with Polycarb is there could be a slight aberration pending script, or if you're a poly non-adapt and poly do not take well to tints. There is Trivex, but not worth the weight issues it can bring.

What ever you decide on, please do not choose your basic plastic lens. If you are going to buy shooting glasses, bit the bullet and go with a High Index Lens!

Now if you are a Progressive wearer, you know who you are. Do not go with one of the more economical lenses because the technology in that lens make-up takes away your peripheral. Try a lens like Accolade, Kodak Unique or Varilux Physio 360. Progressive Lenses needs to be measured the same as if they were your daily wears.

I might not suggest using a Progressive Lens for shooting, where a Line Bifocal may meet your needs. There are a few options in Line Bifocal. They have 22 round, 25 Straight Top, 28 Straight Top, 35 Straight Top, Trifocal 7x25 or 8x35 (Please Note Trifocal should be treated like Progressive).

Have the Optician measure right below your lower eyelash. Then take another 3 mm below that. Keep in mind that you should have at least 10mm of vertical space for your reading area. If you do not at least get 10mm of vertical reading, then pick a bigger lens/frame with a "B" Measurement. You will tilt your head back a little bit for reading, but it is a catch 22. You either have the Line Bifocal in your normal set and it could be a distraction or lower it to keep it mostly out of your peripheral.

The Best Option, in my opinion is just do Single Vision. SV comes in basic plastic, polycarbonate, aspheric polycarbonate (thiner option than regular poly), high index 1.56, 1.66, 1.74. It isn't like you are reading a book while you are out there shooting. You already know your gun, or you at least should. You are not taking score while you shoot. Less distraction with Single Vision.

Single Vision is a bit more diverse, especially with your larger lens shapes. SV will always be cheaper then any multi-focal. I would rather see a person choose a SV 1.74 than a Line Bifocal Basic Plastic Len.

Please contact me at ExtremeGunCare if you have any questions. I will give you my honest opinion in regards to your glass needs. We can talk about various options in regards to frames, lens options to meet your needs.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

PS. I am not here to sell you anything, but you need a good optician to ask numerous questions in like regards to your stance, kind of shoot, other needs you may have for the glasses, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Question!

What is your opinion on the SuperFocus glasses that seem to be rather new? I saw an article on them in the Wall Street Journal and it looks like it may be an answer for some of us older shooters. Your thoughts?

http://shoot.superfocus.com/

SuperFocus is a great idea....but! I will ask you to go to your local Cabela's or Bass ProShop and go into their binocular section and ask for focus free binoculars. When you look through them, notice how your eye will strain just a little to then focus in various distances. Then concentrate on something two feet away, like the end of your barrel and then something about 40 yards away, like the clay bird coming out of a trap house. While you do this then move your head side to side and tell me how that feels.

SuperFocus in glasses is dealing with multi-focal issues. SuperFocus are only made in a specific frame and lens shape. Here is the technology they provide http://www.superfocus.com/The-Superfocus-Technology. They clearly show you putting your finger on a mechanism to distinguish from near and far. The technology in just isn't there. They created a lens that is trying to act like the lens in your eye, but you have to manipulate the lens manually.

Instead of SuperFocus ask for a Digitally Made Lens, rather it is single vision or multi-focal. Another great Digital Progressive lens is the Varilux Physio 360. Believe it or not, one of the forefront manufactures in Digital Lenses is Maui Jim. You can have a Digital Lens created in most Maui Jim frames that will eliminate peripheral distortions. Maui Jim does Single Vision and Progressive lenses digitally. Maui does not do prescription line-bifocal nor install lenses in Non Maui Frames. I did hear Maui will be testing the market in installing lenses in Non Maui Frames. I do not know when they will be marketing it to everyone.

The Official Website is SuperFocus. You will see it isn't all what it is cracked up to be.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Seems interesting but more like a failure in the making.
I hope that pilot can keep his hands off adjusting his glasses and on the controls.
I can see the guy trying to adjust his glasses out on the ridge line then trying to readjust them so he can see through his scope while that elk is walking into the trees.
Neat idea but needs more refining.

I have had numerous emails in response to this post and I greatly appreciate all of them. Some of them had very good questions to answer that I think might have benefited others, whom read this post. If your question isn't giving out personal information, I ask to have you post it on here so others may notice.

Thank you to the two Opticians who had contacted me in support. As Opticians, there is so much information to go through when helping someone that you could literally spend a couple of hours in helping someone.

Many Thanks,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Hi All,

Full disclosure: I am a shooter and I work with Superfocus. I am also a member of Steve’s Angels, the moderators of http://shoot.superfocus.com, the online community for shooters who are overcoming presbyopia.

I appreciate the great discussion here about vision needs and shooting, and I would like to present some facts about Superfocus.

Superfocus are adjustable focus glasses (not multifocal glasses) that mimic the focusing action of the human eye. Also, they are very popular amongst shooters. You can read what NRA editor and pro shooter Chip Lohman had to say about them here: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/ssusa_201008/index.php#/8

Dynamic, adjustable focus eyeglasses have been a leading scientific goal for over a century. In 1866, the first patent was granted for an adjustable lens that strived to mimic the natural lens in the human eye. More than another century passed before that dream became a reality. In 2009, twenty years of development culminated in the commercial availability of the first biomimetic eyeglasses, Superfocus, which allow for instant focus of objects at all distances through the entire visual field of view. Superfocus corrects a user’s distance vision deficiencies, while also offering the ability to focus sharply at all distances with outstanding optical accuracy and bilateral tracking.

Superfocus allow the user to adjust the focus of their lens instantly. Unlike bifocals or even the most advanced progressive lenses, the region of sharp focus is not limited to a small zone, but instead spans a user’s entire field of vision. There are simply no zones of fuzziness, blur or distortion. The result is a complete solution for presbyopia, eliminating any need to carry multiple pairs of glasses or suffer the negative side effects of bifocals and progressives.

Each Superfocus "lens" is actually a set of two lenses, one flexible and one conventionally firm. The flexible lens (near the eye) has a transparent distensible membrane attached to a clear rigid surface. The space between the membrane and the clear rigid surface holds a small quantity of clear optical fluid. As a user moves the slider on the bridge, the fluid is pushed forward to alter the shape of the membrane, thereby altering the flexible lens. Changing the shape of the flexible lens changes its focus, mimicking the performance of the natural lens in youthful human eyes. Superfocus technology allows users to adjust their focus at any distance and under any lighting conditions. The result: clear, undistorted vision over a wide field of view without any zones or lines in the lens.

The second (front) lens holds the user’s prescription and latches onto the frame, held firmly in place by a patented system of tiny magnets. It is quick and easy to snap off one set of front lenses and replace them with another.

Many shooters have found Superfocus to be an ideal solution for their shooting (and everyday) vision needs.

I am happy to discuss the technology off line. Feel free to reach me at: StevesAngels007@gmail.com

Happy Shooting,
Thea

Hi All,

Full disclosure: I am a shooter and I work with Superfocus. I am also a member of Steve’s Angels, the moderators of http://shoot.superfocus.com, the online community for shooters who are overcoming presbyopia.

I appreciate the great discussion here about vision needs and shooting, and I would like to present some facts about Superfocus.

Thank you Thea for that informative opinion about your product. Shooters need to realize that they are limited by just a number of frames and all frame lens shapes look very round. There is still a mechanism the shooter must adjust to meet their needs, rather near or far.

You say they are not a multi-focals. Well yes they are, your just able to manipulate the entire lens to be a certain power. Which is why your trying to mimic the natural ability of an eye to auto focus, but your product does not auto focus. Some of these shooters are a +2.00 to +3.00 add, and that is a bit of a difference in magnification if say their distance is only a -.25.

See one's reading is based off their distance RX.

Say:

-1.00 -1.00 x 90
-2.00 -1.50 x 180
Add is +2.00

Your reading is:
+1.00 -1.00 x 90
+0.00 -1.50 x 180

The Superfocus has to manipulate the two lenses from OD -1.00 to +1.00 OS -2.00 to +0.00. That is two whole diopters. When an individual can determine most of the time between 1/4 diopter (0.25), you can see the glasses are going to have a bit of a "play" in the mechanism.

I am not here to say go one way or another with this product, but stating some facts about it. I want you the shooter to realize what you will be getting yourself into.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Back