Shoot off a tripod?

S

skeptic

I know this is probably off topic and a little like heresy, but I am curious. I am a benchrest shooter of 40+ years. I recently read "The Ultimate Sniper". The author suggested using a modified camera tripod as an expedient rest.

Has anyone ever shot off a camera tripod? If so, how does this compare to benchrest in accuracy and precision?

I know this is probably off topic and a little like heresy, but I am curious. I am a benchrest shooter of 40+ years. I recently read "The Ultimate Sniper". The author suggested using a modified camera tripod as an expedient rest.

Has anyone ever shot off a camera tripod? If so, how does this compare to benchrest in accuracy and precision?

Wow... there's so much I disagree with here :)

#1, you said you're a BR guy, I mean, c'MON!.... "benchrest accuracy and precision??"

I HAVE shot off tripods. Great big heavy duty ones. I'm a concrete guy, I have like 15 sets of transit legs and tried some platform setups and swivels for squirrel hunting. (I ended up with some swiveling seat/table setups instead.) But anyway, camera tripods are for.... cameras. I have 8 or ten of these too but none of them are heavy enough for a decent rifle rest. No, I've never shot off a camera tripod but the key with ANY 'pod be it mono, bi or tri, is that the legs be angled forward. Don't see how you could do this with a tripod.

I guess if you only shoot downhill..... LOL

al

I have used a camera tripod for shooting away from a bench. Nothing compares to the rock solid hold of a benchrest set-up--but, with practice, tripods of any sort can be very, very stabile and long range accuracy can be excellent. My camera tripod is big and heavy (a professional model) and very stable, much more so than the much lighter models. As with photography, the lower the tripod is set up the better.

I've also used bipod hunting sticks. Some of the commercial models are pretty light weight and the legs bend easily. With the stout models, stability can be very good.

vic, could you get me a model for one of those heavy ones? I'm using camera tripods as light stands for photography lights/shades and cannot seem to find a heavy enough setup.....

Also, (off subject) in the op the term "expedient" was used. I interpret this to be "field expedient." I guess since I've never in my life actually had hands on a camera tripod I'd shoot off of, so "expedient" kinda' makes me chuckle...... these new "snipers" and all.....I guess I just cain't picture why a working sniper would be humping a biggie camera 'pod around on a mission.

I read that Plaster book once. Brennan sent me some by mistake, I sent it back.

The only tripod I have ever seen that really was a solid platform , was a guy that came to a benchrest match in Utah. He converted a Surveyors tripod, building a platform, with a built in cradle for the rifle and a wing to lean your arm on and it was made from high tech materials like a layered graphite sheets with a stiffner sandwiched between. I have a brochure for it somewhere and really considered picking one up, because of how solid yet how portable it was when folded. Like Al said Camera tripods are just that and not stable enough to shoot off of.

Data

I expected the reaction here as heretical for expedient rests. I have not used a camera tripod either. The current field use of this equipment by military and police snipers suggests they are getting good results. I would really like to see a study done comparing standard practices and groups obtained. Not likely to see anything published.

If I get the opportunity to conduct a comparison, I may post it here just for amusement. Then again, I like to shoot at extreme distances under various conditions and record the data. I suppose a love of learning is the motivation.

I have been using a tripod that I bought from Bobby Hart about 10 years now. Very stable, very quick setup. You can even leave the gun in it while glassing. I have made a lot of long shots on Groundhogs off of this tripod. Top Drawer equipment. It is the best and most stable one I have used. You guys might want to give it a consideration if you are in the market. Boe

Last edited:
vic, could you get me a model for one of those heavy ones?

Al,

Mine is a Gitzo I bought 20+ years ago. It is not carbon fiber. I think Gitzo has gone entirely to carbon fiber these days. Can't see a model number on mine but I have Tri Pads on the upper legs and can't easily get them off. The upper legs are 1.28 inches in diameter. My head is a Graf Studioball that is heavier than the tripod. The combination is very stable. I've had it rock steady with my Nikon body and 500 mm lens. If you want to use lighter tripods you can increase stability like the photographers do--hang a weight from the head--Gerry rigged but it works in the wind.

Al,

Mine is a Gitzo I bought 20+ years ago. It is not carbon fiber. I think Gitzo has gone entirely to carbon fiber these days. Can't see a model number on mine but I have Tri Pads on the upper legs and can't easily get them off. The upper legs are 1.28 inches in diameter. My head is a Graf Studioball that is heavier than the tripod. The combination is very stable. I've had it rock steady with my Nikon body and 500 mm lens. If you want to use lighter tripods you can increase stability like the photographers do--hang a weight from the head--Gerry rigged but it works in the wind.

Thanks, I'll look into this.... 1.28" legs sound stout. Stout enough for an 11lb rifle? I'll checki'dout!

vic, could you get me a model for one of those heavy ones? I'm using camera tripods as light stands for photography lights/shades and cannot seem to find a heavy enough setup.....

I've got a Bogen 3051 that I use for studio stuff and occasionally to jack my truck up. Just kidding about that last but not by much.

You wouldn't want to go on a long hike with the Bogen but talk about stable.

Back