Shilen Prefit barrels-anyone try one yet??

M

miele

Hey Guys-
I know this ties into another thread but it may reach more shooters:D
Has anyone tried one of the Shilen Prefit match or extra match barrels ?
I have a Model 10 sav in 308 and have not heard of anyone who has
tried one of these 'pre-fit' Barrels.Good reports on SSS,PaNor,Benchmark
and Lother but none on the Shilen:confused:
Thanks
John

I havent tried one yet but have heard nothing but good about them.Jim of Northland is going to be stocking some in popular calibers.I dont think he has them in his inventory yet though.

It was my intention to try one. But when I called them about four weeks ago, I was told that it would be a minimum of 18 weeks for a prefit Savage in 223AI. Pac Nor's time was closer to 8 weeks.....no brainer. I placed the order with Pac Nor.

Rick

I have heard good reports

I have heard some good reports on other forums for the Shilen pre-fits, as well as a couple of bad ones (chamber too deep or no deep enough, wrong freebore), which apparently all have been corrected by Shilen. I beleive the chambering and threading of the blank is just as important as the quality of the blank itself. I would rather have have my gunsmith, which I personally have seen their quality work, use the reamer of my choice (I rent each time). The last two blanks I got from Shilen (via The Barrel Man) have arrived within 3 weeks of placing the order. That makes it 6 weeks or less to have the barrel screwed on my gun and it is exactly like I want it.

My $259 Stevens 200 will shoot 0.3-0.4s all day long long and if the wind dies down, I can ocassionally agg in the 0.2s.....not that often. And yes, the action is the only thing left from the original Stevens 200 purchase. The look on guys faces when they see they see the groups my junky Stevens will print is priceless. At least it still has "Stevens" stamped in the bolt. :D:D

Tiny

Shilen vc Douglas

I am debating either the Shilen vs the douglas from SSS in
308 :confused:
Which one would you guys choose ??
Thanks
John

i have a shilen 308 select match 1/14 twist with a 340 nk.ordered it last april got it in august.cant tell you how it shoots going to try and get it together this week .but it sure looks sweet. c.g

Savage pre-fits

I have several Pac-Nor pre fits for a Savage and they all shoot well. They are all Super Match barrels, broke in very easily, and clean easily. Two are three groove barrels. I had them use their reamers for two of them; a .308 .337 nd. and a .22-250 AI .250 nd. Examination with a borescope revealed the interior finish and lap to appear to be on par with Hart, Kreiger, and Shilen. The throats were as good as barrels put together by my own gunsmith. Don't overlook SSS's Douglas barrels. I have two of them in a .243 AI and they shoot very well. Douglas doesn't lap their barrels the way the custom guys do but for an accurate varmint barrel, they are hard to beat.
Chino69

Can't rush quality.....

I have several Pac-Nor pre fits for a Savage and they all shoot well. They are all Super Match barrels, broke in very easily, and clean easily.

I as well as Chino have not only had truely World Class products from PacNor but the service provided as been second to NONE.

If it's about wait/delivery times... All I can say is 7 barrels ordered from Chris/Penny 4 blanks and 3 pre-fit Savage.... 6-8 weeks on the blanks and 8-10 weeks on the pre-fits... At least for me.

One thing for sure, ya can't rush quality..! But even say'n that, Pacnor has delivered QUALITY in a reasonable time.

Ringing endorsement,
cale

Shilen,inc.

I ordered a #s8 (bull) 204 X12 stainless barrel for my savage. the bullet was to seat in the lands which didn't come that way. Emailed them and didn't get a answer. Have started working on loads and it is shooting fair. I use berger 40 grain bullets and haven't found a good load yet. Have a t36 weaver and shoot every other week. Will shoot this week-end and only at 200 yards. If the barrel doesn't get any better will let you know. Anyone have a powder that works well with this setup? Have prepared 100 win case out of 600 that I purchased. So far the shilen barrel is a little better than my stock barrel from savage. craig:confused:

I use berger 40 grain bullets and haven't found a good load yet.

In 1-12" these seem a bit on the edge.... Stability wise. Just stable not to key hole or wobble to egg shape holes on paper but just a tad understablized
to allow the wind to really make them erratic.... Though, your in luck.

The Sierra 39gr BK has the preportions to stablize real solidly in a 12 twist.
Is a FINE shoot'n bullet, I mean FINE!

Hum 204Ruger chambering (don't own one).... Have seen/helped a shooter work-up loads with IMR4895 and H BLC-2... Both gave excellent Vel and shot well .5 @ 3850 easily...

Try the Sierra 39 and try the Berger 35 match... I know my PacNor 20-222 1-12" shoot'em both into little bug holes if I read the condition well.:rolleyes:

cale

Shilen pre-fit on Savage 10

Hi miele,

I recently replaced the .308 barrel on my Savage 10 with a Shilen HV contour 6mmBR 1/8 twist. After a 20 round fire and clean break-in, I shot a .523" 5 shot group at 100yds.
Last Sunday at its first 600yd match, I managed a 3.31" 5 shot group.
Using a SSS barrel nut wrench and barrel blocks the barrel change took about 10 minutes.
I am encouraged enough by its initial performance to have invested in a decent front rest.

I purchased a Shilen for my Savage from Midway. It is a fast twist 1:8 in .243 Win. I've only put 10 rounds down range so far but it seems just fine. It was just break-in and pressure check rounds to get me in the ball park with moly 115 DTAC's. It seems to be cleaning just fine and although no real accuracy work was done it looks promising.

Back