Shilen barrels

J

jonmdavis62

Anyone shooting Shilen chrome moly match barrels.
are you getting good groups with them,l will not be
shooting past 500yds.and will be shooting slow...
Thanks for looking...Jon D.

Shilen CM barrels

Recently had a Ruger#1 re-barreled w/ a Shilen Chrome-Moly: wanted to keep the traditional blued finish. Barrel arrived at the 'smiths, and before he began his machining, I was able to check out the bore with my "Hawkeye". Was disappointed to find reamer marks across the lands & grooves, something I've never seen in my stainless Shilen, Hart & Krieger barrels. It was returned. Later, was informed by Shilen that they do not lap their CM barrels. They air-gaged the bore, decided they could give it a light lapping ( for an additional $40), returned it, it was then free of all reamer marks. it's proving to be very accurate ( holds under moa), and is a joy to clean: minimum effort req'd. It's my understanding that not lapping a CM barrel is common, why? I have no idea, but if you order one, I'd specify that it be lapped. Just my experience.

positive for me

My first custom barrel was a lapped-CM Shilen. 1:12 twist 6mm #7. Had it chambered to fit a ulgy Savsge (actually Stevens) action in a 6mm Rem. I started shooting honest 0.3-0.4s aggs with Hornady VMaxs. That was a big step up (actually down for me). I have since had PacNors and Harts that shoot as good, but the CM Shilen doesn't give up a thing. Custom barrels have made me learn a new level of reloading and shooting. I had never sorted brass or bullets before. Know I am disappointed if I open a group up more than 0.5". Sub-1" at 300 is becoming more routine. Heck, I am even going to try this addictive BR thing a little. Know..... if I could just figure out how to read the wind..... :rolleyes::D

tiny

Shilen Barrels

I have a Shilen barrel on a Benchrest rifle and it is great. It is stainless steel, not CM. The CM barrels are less expensive, stainless won't rust.

I always buy stainless. I have three Shilen SS SM barrels. The way I look at it, it costs more to blue the CM than the difference in price.

Years ago, we shot CM Shilen barrels on our P. dog rifles...

they are unreal accurate. We shot the barrels out so fast that we did not even have them blued, gunsmith put a high polish on them and we just kept the outside oiled. We did the bore a good brushing with JB before we ever fired the barrels.

My partner and I went through a dozen or more of these CM barrels that we bought out of Brownells. Never, Never did we get a bad one that was inaccurate or was bad to copper foul.

Our cartridge of choice was a minimum spec 6mm Rem. We grew to expect 1/2" at 200 yards to be the norm (38.5g of H4895, win case, fed 210, 85g sierra bthp @ 3150 fps), on a #8 taper barrel as long as we could get the blank.

Good luck!

Back