Seeking Advice on Price

J

Jeff Chandler

Not a machinist and have only used lathe to machine broken axles that I've welded. Would like to add space by eliminating lathe from shop footprint but have no idea what to ask for it. Southbend CL187Z serial number 5869RKL77. 10" & 42"L bed. Any assistance on what to price this lathe at for a relatively quick sale would be very much appreciated. P.S. Picked up near Norman, OK

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 375
FROM THE PIC, IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE 42"

looks closer to 24...strange pic
Not a machinist and have only used lathe to machine broken axles that I've welded. Would like to add space by eliminating lathe from shop footprint but have no idea what to ask for it. Southbend CL187Z serial number 5869RKL77. 10" & 42"L bed. Any assistance on what to price this lathe at for a relatively quick sale would be very much appreciated. P.S. Picked up near Norman, OK

It doesn't look like the total length of the lathe is 42".
Good luck selling it.

South Bend lists the total length of the ways as the length.

A 42" would only be 16" to 20" center to center.

There in lies the advantage of the 1&3/8" thru hole for gunsmith use. Kenny

FROM THE PIC, IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE 42"

looks closer to 24...strange pic

The picture of the ID Plate shows a bed length dimension. It looks like 3 1/2. At first I suspected that the tag has been buffed and that the number shown was originally 23 1/2 (inches). It also seems plausible that the dimension is actually 3 1/2 ft. for the entire bed which would leave a lot less length between centers.

As to a value?? If this thread doesn't generate some interest, the Practical Machinist website has a South Bend Lathe forum that might be worth posing your question.

Last edited:
Back