Scopes

J

JonnyBender

There's a lot of talk about what power a scope should be for long range shooting and that's good. What about the kind of rectical to choose. Mildot, plain cross, etc........

I have to admit I know nothing about scope. Just bought a new rifle and dont know what to put on it. I've read a lot about scopes for long range shooting on different web site including this one, and all i am is confused.

I've only got about $900 (maybe a little more) to spend on a scope and its Canadian dollars. Any help would be appreciated.

Caliber 308, 1000 yds and for target shooting

JonnyBender

Forgot some thing, Using a variable power scope what should be the highest on the variable power.

you'll have to excused my writting, I am french

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to know what you consider Long Range. 500, 1000, 1200 meters?
What caliber? Hunting? Target?

Jonny,
For long range hunting scopes I prefer the 4x16x42 Sightron with mil dot reticle. At 4 power the field of view is large enough to quickly acquire game close up and 16 power gives you good resolution on long shots. I have also found the Sightrons to have very good light gathering ability.

James

Jonny,
Sightron's SIII 6-24x50 is available with either a 1/4 min. dot or mil dot reticle, and has 100 MOA of internal adjustment, which should meet your needs. I see them listed for sale from $777 to $820 from various vendors. For shooting at the std. NRA LR target's bull, the dot reticle would be my choice; for tactical shooting, including moving targets, the mil dot would get the nod. This scope has a 30mm tube, so you'd have to purchase 30mm rings. You're also going to want an extended scope base/rail in order to be able to mount the scope far enough forward for prone shooting - while you're at it, get one with 20 MOA slope built in.

The Leupold 8.5-25x50mm is very hard to beat. Fine Duplex is is simple and gives a definitive aiming point. I think a 1/4 mill dot is too big. I have scopes with 1/8 mill dots and I like them a lot but I probably will not buy another one. Reticle choice is something I think you will need to determine yourself. Go to the range and ask guys to look through their scopes and figure what you like the best. Looking through a scope in a store is not a good place to make a desicion. Definately look through it at the range on a target before you spend upwards of a $1000. I do not own any Sightrons but I hear nothing but good reports about them. That would probably be a scope to definitaly look at as well for the price range you're looking at.

As far as highest variable power go with the most you can get. Keep in mind though a 25 power Leupold is going to be much clearer than a 32 power cheap scope. Don't buy a cheap scope because it has high magnification you will not be happy.

Leupold

You don't mention what brand of rifle or what caliber. Shooting at 1000 yards is a whole different ball game than even 600 yards.
For $1,000 Canadian there isn't much that's gonna' work for you. A 25x Leupold would even be marginal at 1000 yds.
If you want a nice all around hunting scope look at the Leupold VXII 3.5-10x40 with a duplex reticle. You can buy the mounts and have money left over.
I have 2 Leupold 6.5-20x50s. One on my 6BR bench gun and the other on my 22-250 varmint gun. They've given me great service and are a joy to shoot.
If you want a true 1000 yard scope, look at the Nightforce models for $1,600 US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back