Scopes used (magnification) in benchrest

S

sepeteus

Well yes,

what is typical magnification of scope used in airgun bench rest, or are various powers in use, depending who shoots?

Isn't it 25 yard shooting typically, air gun bench rest?

We use to shoot groups from 25 meters and also from 50 meters... But as I have understood, you shoot mainly your special target (not groups); am I right?

sepeters,
I have 4 Airguns set up for Benchrest, 2 have Weaver T-36 on them and the other two have var. 6X24 and 8X32. Some people do alright with a 12 power but most shoot 24X or higher. At our club we shoot at 25 yards with matches both indoors and outside. Wind flags are a must outside if you want to do well. Last winter I did put a 45 X on a AirGun after the rimfire season was over. I won't bother this winter.

Picture of AGBR target
25 Bulls to be shot in 20 Min. Three sighters which you can shoot as much as you want.
4-5-20098-26-37PM_0007.jpg

As to scopes for AGBR shooting, for me with 68 year old eyes, I find the higher power the better. At 25 yards at the target shown by Paul in the post above, I find the Weaver T-36 is best...

As I have a 10 meter range (33 ft) set up in my cellar for my own practice and testing, I use variable power scopes set to 32X. The one fault with the Weaver T-36 scope is that it will not focus below 50 ft. and I end up swapping scopes to use my own range. However the T-36 scope for match shooting at other ranges is tops in my estimation and I use a Leapers 8X-32X or Mueller 8X-32X at my home range as these scopes will focus in to 9 meters...

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Thanks,

your answers were just what I needed to know.

I'm mostly shooting indoors now, because of weather (in Finland). I just came from indoors range, where I was shooting 50 meter's groups.

I have several PCP airguns but the newest one is Steyr LG 110 HP 4,5mm (or .177") and I don't have appriopriate scope on it yet (there is one 12X scope on it).

Well, I bought that rifle less than a month ago, and have to wait a little and save some money until I could buy appropriate glass on it... I think I'd buy sort of economy scope first, at least magnification of 20X, because that 12X is without doubt too little for my poor eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
BR Scope

I would recommend waiting and paying more for a higher quality scope with very fine crosshairs and, perhaps, a 1/8" dot. The bull of a bench rest air gun or rimfire target is extremely small. This will prevent upgrading later and then having to get another higher end scope. It will be a waste of money and hassle arranging to sell the scope you have replaced inmho. I would go with what Mitch is recommending. Get at least a 36 power Weaver unless you want to shoot indoors closer than 50 ft. Chuck

I'm using an ecomomy Barska Varmit 6-24x42mm AO for 25 yard and 50 yard benchrest outdoors...cost $75 at Optics Planet...working out ok....

BenchRestMatch032.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do T36's elevation and windage clicks hold exactly?

Hello all!

We had benchrest match Sunday (indoors) and I certainly had problems in/with adjusting my scope. Gun worked fine... I even weighted pellets and shot first line well, but then the point of aim and point where pellet did hit started to diverge.... I had to re-install elevation and windage plus I had to shoot sighters full of holes... Time started to end (I thought I'll quit, but didn't)

My scores were finally 239, and I think I will burn that scope (BSA target 6-24 X 40) some day... I hate it!

Well, I need a new scope which doesn't do that... Friend advised me to buy Leopold 6,5 -20 X 40 (said its clicks are foolproof), but because I'll shoot majorily Bench rest and he silhoutte, plus Weaver doesn't cost as MUCH as Leupold, I think... Weaver.

You won't go wrong with Weaver... I have more Weaver scopes than any other make and they are foolproof... Three T-36 fixed power and a V16 varible power, all with fine crosshair/dot reticules and the only other scope I've found that is comparable is the Sightron BigSky scopes. However the Weaver scopes are nearly half the money...

If you are budget concious, Mueller has recently come on the market this fall with an 8X-32X target scope with crosshair/dot reticule, I have purchased two of these. I find they have excellent optics and are well made but have a limited range of elevation and windage adjustment. For me as a benchrest shooter, this is not a problem however if you plan to shoot silhouette, I'd go with Weaver or Sightron which have a larger range of adjustment...

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Shadowchaser:

I note with interest your comment about the new Mueller 8-32X, 44mm SF scope; insofar as you feel it has a "...limited range of.... adjustment....".

With respect, and not being confrontational, I suggest that you check the published statistics. That new Mueller has 40" of total adjustment at 100 yards. The Burris Signature Select, in either 6-24X 44mm or 8-32X 44mm has 22". The Bushnell 4200 8-32X 40mm has 20".

You need to go to a 50mm scope (my Burris Black Diamond 8-32x, 50mm SF scope has 39" at 100 yards) to equal the Mueller's range of adjustment . So, while your statement is not technically incorrect, I feel you might be leading someone to the wrong conclusions.

Again, no confrontation intended.

Shadowchaser:

I note with interest your comment about the new Mueller 8-32X, 44mm SF scope; insofar as you feel it has a "...limited range of.... adjustment....".

With respect, and not being confrontational, I suggest that you check the published statistics. That new Mueller has 40" of total adjustment at 100 yards. The Burris Signature Select, in either 6-24X 44mm or 8-32X 44mm has 22". The Bushnell 4200 8-32X 40mm has 20".

You need to go to a 50mm scope (my Burris Black Diamond 8-32x, 50mm SF scope has 39" at 100 yards) to equal the Mueller's range of adjustment . So, while your statement is not technically incorrect, I feel you might be leading someone to the wrong conclusions.

Again, no confrontation intended.

OldSwede,

I stand by my statement of Mueller scope adjustment range. As tested on my range and at matches, the Mueller scope has less adjustment range than the Weaver, Leapers, or Sightron high power target scopes that I own. This is a subject that has been discussed on telephone calls between Rich at Mueller and myself and he is well aware of my findings...

To clarify a point, your statement of 40" TOTAL adjustment leaves a shooter only 20" of adjustment from the optical center alignment to compensate for bullet drop when shooting at long ranges.

Again, it is my comment that people should be aware of this limitation of adjustment range when choosing a scope...

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

OldSwede,

I stand by my statement of Mueller scope adjustment range. As tested on my range and at matches, the Mueller scope has less adjustment range than the Weaver, Leapers, or Sightron high power target scopes that I own. This is a subject that has been discussed on telephone calls between Rich at Mueller and myself and he is well aware of my findings...

To clarify a point, your statement of 40" TOTAL adjustment leaves a shooter only 20" of adjustment from the optical center alignment to compensate for bullet drop when shooting at long ranges.

Again, it is my comment that people should be aware of this limitation of adjustment range when choosing a scope...

Happy Shooting,
Mitch & Shadow...

Hi, Mitch:

You did not need to clarify my point, sir. My point was already clear: ALL of the measurements I gave in my post are TOTAL measurements.

Again, on an apples /apples basis: Mueller: 40"
Burris: 22" (39" on their 50mm)
Bushnell: 20"

I totally agree with your last statement. However, the limitation appears to be in the Burris and Bushnell line, not in Mueller's.

I was not aware that Weaver made an 8-32X scope - guess I need to do more research before I open my yap.

OS

Back