Scope Question

jeffbatt

Jeff B
I am very new to this game. I need help picking out a good repeatable scope. I really don't want to take out a second morage if you know what I mean. Any suggestions would be helpful:confused: Thanks , jeff b

Jeff: Imo. A good place to start, The Leupold VX-3 in 40mm. at 6.5 - 20x it's good for anything from sporter class - ul. in IR 50/50 or ARA. I love the hell out of mine, never had a problem. Their not to bad to buy. Ed.

Jeff,

The Weaver 36X is probably the best for the budget minded shooter especially starting out.
The Sightron SII 36X is also reasonable and liked by those who use them.
Leupolds start getting a little more expensive and will run you for a used 36X model that's not made any longer 500-700.
From there it's close to a grand and above.

I don't shoot IR50/50 sporter but I believe they are limited to 6X, all the other classes, at least for ARA and IR50/50 you can use whatever power you want.
If I was just starting out I'd go with the Weaver, and heck I say starting out, but I've been at this for 4 years and I still use the Weavers and don't have any intentions of replacing them. Note that some of the more seasoned big dogs in the game are using them so they must be OK.

Dan Killough, KSS, has the best prices for new Weavers and helpful with any questions.

Les

Les: Fyi, Ir50/50 sporter class, Max.scope power =6.5 x and I must agree, I also shoot the Weaver 36 I just see more versitility in a variable for a new shooter with maybe 1 or 2 rifles. I only wish Id asked questions first, would have saved me from buying at least 3 scopes. I bought my first Leupold VX3 EFR. 6.5-20 From Dan for about 500. she's still working very well. Jeff....keep the questions comming, these guys are happy to help. and remember, the only dumb question is the one never asked. Ed.

Les: Fyi, Ir50/50 sporter class, Max.scope power =6.5 x and I must agree, I also shoot the Weaver 36 I just see more versitility in a variable for a new shooter with maybe 1 or 2 rifles. I only wish Id asked questions first, would have saved me from buying at least 3 scopes. I bought my first Leupold VX3 EFR. 6.5-20 From Dan for about 500. she's still working very well. Jeff....keep the questions comming, these guys are happy to help. and remember, the only dumb question is the one never asked. Ed.

Thx Ed I couldn't remember the requirements for IR 50/50 Sporter, as stated I don't participate in such. I say one of the key questions Jeff is do you know exactly what your shooting intentions are. Some of the best advise I could give is if you have some idea of where your going to shoot, club, organization, IR 50/50, ARA etc... is to go visit and talk to the people there. I was lucky when I started out for I fell in with some of the very seasoned veterans shooting ARA and they pretty much set me up.

Les

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded. I will have to check out the club which is is about 75 mi. away to see where to begin. How ever I do like a scope with adjustable power. I do own for my smallbore rifle which I shoot prone with,a Leupold 6.5X20 EFR. great scope ! Its has done me well. Just in case anyone was wondering I picked up for a super deal an Anschutz 2013 BR50 in a benchrest stock, so that is my starting point. Any and all help is welcome. Again Thanks, jeff

Back