Scope Purchase

M

mikesshop

I am new to rimfire benchrest and need some advice on a scope for my rifle. I am starting out in factory class and I am considering purchasing a Weaver 6x20. I plan on shooting in central and northern Michigan and wanted to check and see if this scope is appropriate for the factory class.
Any advice is welcomed

Mike

Seeing as how you posted this on the 3rd of January and have received no responses, I'll give you mine. It may be bad advice, but it's better than no advice. So, here goes: For my informal benchrest shooting at 50 yards, I use a Nikon 6X18X40 with Warne 7.3/22 medium rings on my CZ 453. Varmint The scope has excellent clarity throughout the zoom range. The clicks are 1/8 m.o.a. and are very crisp. Even shooting at 100 yards, it all the scope I need.

Bear in mind that I am not a true blue benchrest shooter as are many forum members. I generally lurk in the background to learn from others. That being said, I'm sure others here will give you what may be better benchrest advice. At any rate, that's what I use and am more than please with my rifle-scope combination. Happy shooting,

Ken

Need Scope Advice

Thanks Ken. I was beginning to think I had the plague when no one responded. I am a centerfire benchrest shooter and currently use Leupold on my rifle. I just did not know if I could use a variable power scope on my rifle and be legal etc.
I have had experience with the Nikkons on hunting rifles and the clarity has always been pretty good, I just did not know how they would focus at 25 and 50 yards.

Thanks Again
Mike

Mike,
I'd hazard a guess as to why no one pitched in an offered advice is because there are so many different rules for "club matches" across the country it'd be impossible to answer it correctly. If you're allowed unlimited scope power in the class you're going to shoot, by all means take advantage of it.
What are the rules you have to work with? Are you shooting sanctioned matches in IR5050, ARA, ??? USBR? My advice it to use all the scope power they will allow, and I like Leupold scopes too. For a variable it'd be hard to beat one of the 6-18X40AO target Leupolds. If scope power is unlimited, and all you're going to use the rifle for is the game, 36X isn't too much power.

Mike,

You may want to contact someone at the club you intend to shoot at. Without knowing what the rules are, nobody can give you much advice.

Ken

Edit: Kent beat me to it.

In the meanwhile, as you are awaiting some kind of confirmation on the rules, get yourself a Weaver T-36 and strap it on your gun and git to practising.

The Weaver is a great scope, can be had for a little over $300 used, and in the long run, if you can't use it in your rules, you can sell it for what you bought it for.

You can pay a lot more (Leupold), which I have done. You can try other competitive brands ( B&L, Sightron ), been there, still have them. Or you can just love your Weavers and be happy.

BSA, Simmons, and Tasco in 36x are a big step down in clarity, contrast, and repeatability. Don't go there if you can afford not to.

p.s. someone will come swinging in here to tell you about the japanese tasco / simmons. A viable alternative, just look out for the made in China. If it does not say "Japan" on the scope, steer clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need Joe Haller...

Mike and I make up the match committee for the Harrison matches. At our home matches, there are no restrictions on scopes for either the factory or benchrest classes.

However, we intend to shoot at Joe's UP matches. I don't know if he has any restrictions on scope power or not.

JOE... Help!

Since we will be shooting at both 25 and 50 yds. both at home and at Joe's, it is important to make sure the scope will focus down to 25 yds.

Last edited:
Club Rules

Club rules is why I was thinkinbg about a variable scope. I had heard of some ranges having a power limitation and taping the scope at the specific power. That way it would be a one scope purchase and use it at different ranges with different rules. As Dick stated we have unlimited scope power at our rimfire matches but I know it is going to vary. First match is in Sault Ste. Marie in April and I want to be ready to go with the proper setup when I get home from Fllorida...
I really appreciate the input

Mike

Hi Mike:

That Weaver 6-20X scope will work fine in our Factory Sporter class. The rules allow up to 24 power in Factory Sporter. But: If you have a scope with more than 24X, and it is variable, you are allowed to use it, as long as the power selector ring is set at no more than 24X and the ring is taped so it cannot be moved.

Here is information on the rules we use UP here at Sault Ste. Marie. They are the same as the rules used by Rimfire Central in their On-Line Matches.

Seven years ago we started Unlimited BR Matches on Rimfire Central. (Same rules as ARA, but using the USBR target) Our course of fire includes both 25 & 50 yards on that same USBR target.

Four years ago, to encourage more shooters to get "Into the Game" we set up a class we call the "Factory Sporter Class" We shoot under the RFC On-Line Match rules at our club UP here at Sault Ste. Marie. There is also a club in Florida, one in Pennsylvania, one in New Mexico, two in Texas and one in Rio de janeiro, Brazil that shoot with us.

In the past we have had clubs from California, Massachusetts, South Dakota, Utah, Washington State and New York at one time or another. There are also about 100 individuals around the country that shoot on their home ranges and report scores in the RFC "Matches" section. Most of our shooters are not near ranges that run sanctioned matches. They shoot alone on their home ranges, and are allowed to score there own targets "Under the Honor System". I have names of about 40 shooters who have moved up to Sanctioned matches after getting a starting in the RFC On-Line matches.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will find the complete set of rules for the Factory Sporter Class here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213985
Shot at both 25 & 50 yards
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules for our Unlimited class are here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214301
(Our Semi-Auto Class has the same rules)
Shot at both 25 & 50 yards
You will find the rules for our Vintage Smallbore Class here:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214302
(Shot at both 25 & 50 yards)
Here are the rules for our NEW 50 yard Iron Sight Match:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209676
This is 50 yards only and the NRA A-23/5 target is used. We started this class last October.
AND: Here is the 2008 schedule of Rimfire YooperShoots at our club at Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan
2008YooperShoot.jpg

Just What I Needed

Thanks a ton Joe. You answered every question I had. Plan on making it up to your April Shoot. That will be my first rimnfire event. Dick will no doubt be traveling up from Harrison too. Hopefully we can coax some of your folks down to Harrison for our first try at a rimfire match.

Thanks Again To All
Mike

Mike,

This is probably redundant but your life will be easier if the scope has target knobs. Those Leups are available both ways.

Enjoy the warm.:)

Target Knobs

Now that the true search is on the confusion builds. Leupold has them and Leupold is what I am use to, however Nikon also has them and I have had pretty good luck with folks being satisfied witht he ones that I have sold to them. Can't beat Weaver for the price.

The search continues
Mike:confused:

Accuracy is as Accurcy Does . . .

I bought a couple of Weaver T-24s for our Factory Sporter guys to try. I put one on a CZ 452 with the long 28" barrel (LUX Model), and it went over 8.5 lbs. It shot better than any of the other CZs we have around here. But: Had to take the scope off because of that 8.5 lb. limit. I put a BSA 6-18X scope on it, and it made weight. Next time out it shot a 250-7x. That was the first 250 EVER fired at our range with a Factory Sporter on the USBR target at 25 yards. With the Weaver T-24 it shot a 249-3x, (Which I thought was pretty good)

Long barrel - Lower pressure as the bullet exits - Less yaw?

The Weaver and the BSA both have target nobs. Is one worth three times as much as the other? How much more is a Leupold worth (???)

New Issue

I guess I hadn't considered the weight factor to much. My rifle is the Ruger M77 .22 cal Target/Varmit. Better put it on the scale.

Mike:confused:

Camping At The Soo

Joe;

Was thinking about dragging my fifth wheel up for the April shoot and was wondering if you have room at your range for me to set up or is there a campground close to your range.

Mike

Hi Mike

We have 4 electrical hookups right behind the firing line, plus 3 more about 25 yards away. And we have lots of room for dry camping. We even have an indoor rest room.

In this picture you can see two of the electrical hookups on the side of our squadding room.

Joe :)

LeftendofRange.jpg

Back