Scope Mounting for Savage 12 LRPV

AZ_Win52

I was wondering if you folks can help. I just ordered a Savage 12 LRPV (.223). I will be mounting a scope with a 1" tube and 44mm objective. I plan on using a Leupold base - 55743: 2-pc Base 10/110 Round Receiver Silver. What height Leupold rings will allow the objective to clear the barrel? I'd like to keep the scope as low as possible. I am not locked in to this setup, I am open to suggestions for other base/ring combos.

I'm new to this forum (1st post :) ) though I have been visiting here for the past month.

Any adive/information would be greatly appreciated

The best rings I have found for the money is Burris signature zee rings with the alignment inserts (weaver style). No need for lapping, aligning, wont put ring marks on your scope, and you can add elevation or windage with the inserts instead of maxing out the scope. Normally in the $30 range but often on sale at Midway in the mid $20s.

EGW makes a nice one piece base for Savage short action for around $34 (with or without MOA built in) which will help make the action more rigid. Ken Farrell makes a better base but it cost alot more and the EGW is probably a better bang for the buck.

I put this same base/ring combo on 6 guns and scopes now (Rem, Sav, and Win) so I can swap scopes from one gun to the next without moving the rings on the scopes. Just two screws and its on the next gun lined up and ready to dial in. (they are always on paper as soon as they are installed).

Medium rings should be fine, I normally use high rings so my face isnt pressed so hard against the stock but I know thats all a matter of personal preference.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same rifle in 22-250. The scope I am using is a Leupold
8x25x50 and a 30mm tube. It has the varmint reticle. The rings are ARMS
rings with the attach/detach levers. The base I put on the rifle is a one
piece PICATINNY steel base. With this setup, I can switch the scope from
AR 15's to bolt guns real fast. No nuts or screws to loosen. Just swing the
levers on the rings, lift off scope, put on rifle and swing levers back to lock.
It makes it very easy to adjust for eye releif also.

Tbear

Scope ring height is so dependent on barrel contour, scope objective bell diameter and scope length, that I have come up with a way of checking before I fit the rings to the bases.

For Leupold 1" rings, I use a couple of short pieces of 1/4" and 1/8" keystock to lay across the bases at the ring position. If the 1/8" keystock gives clearance between the objective bell and the barrel, low rings will work. If 1/4" keystock is required, medium rings will work. There are high rings and super high if the 1/4" doesn't provide clearance. Of course the scope must be set at the correct fore and aft position, and someone with chubby cheeks might just require a higher ring to have the proper sight position, but at least you won't end up with the objective bell fouling on the barrel.

Welcome to the forums!! These guys are a wealth of knowledge.
I have a 12 BV in .243 with a Leo VXL. Because of the concave in the scope, rings and mounts were quite the challenge. I can't find it now, but I did an open web search and found a Leo site with ring and base charts for all different model rifles.
Ended up with Leo 2 pc bases and a set of short rings that slam the scope as low as you can. No shimming required.
If I can find the sight I'll forward it to you.
Bernie

Back