scope for savage 6.5/284

R

rj4

Hi all
I,m vary new at F class, this is my first try .
I have a savage and want to find the best bace and scope to start with .
anything will be a help
Thanx
RJ

welcome rj4
I have just bought an Leupold VX III 8.5x25-50 with a fine duplex for my Savage 6.5x284 also a WTC 20 moa base
there are better scopes out there but this one fit my budget
Tim V

Thank you for the replays
is there a power range that is better than others
and is a 50 or 56 better
thank you

The bigger the objective the more forgiving the eye relief. When you get into the higher powers, it's good to have some way to reduce it when mirage comes on strong. Either by turning down the zoom or removing and optical multiplier from a fixed power scope.

For my Stevens F class rifle, I have a Farrel MOA one piece base, Burris Sig rings w/ inserts to hold an Elite 4200 6x24 AO target scope w/mil dot reticle. I shim the scope to bracket the distances I will compete at.

For F class, I prefer to hold off because winds change very quickly in my area. I use the mildot reticle to give me multiple aiming points. Dialing my turrents only to account for a significant and constant condition shift.

The scope is a superb value. It works very well for my eyes and the mechanicals have never dissapointed me. The 1/8min click is important so that you can dial in the Xring. 1/4 min moves POA too much at long distances.

I am considering the higher mag scopes but find mirage as a big negative over 24X. I like the larger field of view to watch conditions. 24X is high enough to see the spotting dot as they are usually scaled for the distance shot. Check with the ranges you will compete at to ensure that is correct for you.

I will be getting a 30mm Elite 4200 tactical scope shortly. Will also look at the new Sightrons SIII that come out this spring (????).

I expect the 30mm tubes and hopefully larger eye piece to give a larger field of view. I don't bother with huge objective lenses because I will be shooting during the day with good light. Nikon Monarchs are also very nice scopes but I usually find them to have a narrower apparent field of view. Not seen any of their new gen side focus scopes though.

Jerry

Scope for Savage

Quote: “I have a savage and want to find the best bace and scope to start with .”

rj4,
If you want the best, then you can’t go wrong with a 12-42x NightForce BR model; unless you want to spend 2x’s as much for a March Variable that has not yet proven its self in F-Class.

Some argue you can have too much power, but I don’t. If you look at most of the best shooters you will find they feel the same way. I don’t think you would ever want to go below 12x shooting F-Class under any conditions. But you very well could want to go above 25/25x on most days. I have shot under some very miserable heavy mirage conditions many, many times in major national and international championships and the few times I ever turned my NF off 42x I shortly there after ran it right back up. The mirage is there whether or not you can see it and it still affects the target image.

The only disadvantage to a 12-42x compared to a lower power NF is a reduction in elevation and windage adjustments. If your rifle base and rings are set up correctly this is not a factor.

Thank you all
I'm convinced on the NF ,but why the12x42 56 BR over the 12x42 56 NXS
The NXS has 45 MOA x35 MOA and the BR 40x40 MOA Adj.
and the 8x32 vs 12x42
And last but not lest were is the best place to buy?
Thank you agen
RJ

NSX vs. BR

RJ,
There are two main reasons to select the BR over the NSX. One, it costs considerable less. Two and the reason I got rid of my NSX’s is the new F-Class target has a ½ moa X-ring diameter and a 1 moa ten ring. If you are grouping in the top half of the x-ring and come down a click with the NSX you are most likely going to be in the top of the bottom half of the ten ring not in the center of the x-ring. I was constantly having to favor for elevation and didn’t like it. If I have a shot/grouping off call, now I can just click one click and not worry about it being too much.

I also think the front focus is more reliable than a side focus for target shooting. If I was going to go sniping I would use an NSX. We are just putting holes in paper.

Prices are very close to each other no matter where you buy. Service is a key issue. Bill Shehane at D&B Supply - http://www.scopeusout.com, 1-704-824-7511 has never steered me wrong.

Back