scope dot size answer

D

Douglas

I can't find the thread any more, but I did get an answer from Leupold tech. "Reticle subtension (area of target covered) is for 100yds. Reducing the distance to 50yds would be exactly 1/2 the 100yd subtension". I'm going to try my best to remember this. Thanks, Douglas

IS that NOT pretty much exactly what I said in the previous thread? Really, I didn't just make it up!
By the way, people starting threads for info and then deleting them sure does rob others of the info that was passed on in that deleted thread. Then again, what does it matter.

Last edited:
Kent, as I recall that's what we both thought, but neither one of us was "absolutely for sure". I hope the guy who wanted to know about what size dot to buy reads this. Thanks, Douglas

I'm back

IS that NOT pretty much exactly what I said in the previous thread? Really, I didn't just make it up!
By the way, people starting threads for info and then deleting them sure does rob others of the info that was passed on in that deleted thread. Then again, what does it matter.
Wow- let me try and set this straight. Firstly, I posted a link to Lee Rericle that Rich had already posted. It fully explains in simple language, what dot size means in MOA and inches. Someone responded to this post named Doug and said "well there's your answer". The thread sat there with no more resposes and about 700 views. Figureing it was all over I deleted the post- out of courtesy- I am sorry if I offended or deprived someone. Kent Owens had already answered the question but didn't seem sure
Calling Leupold about their products is an exercise in futility- call # 1- the 6X Competion scope has a 3/8" dot and can be replaced with a 1/4" for $75. Call#2 was a confirmation call and was told that it was a 1/2" dot and could not be replaced- it's now 3 hours waiting for confirmtion from the service department.
For those of you that were denied the knowledge set forth in the original thread: think of dots in MOA- a 3/8" or 0.375" dot subtends an area 3/8" AT 100 YARDS AND 3/16" (HALF THAT) at 50 yards. In deference to Kent, I'm a small dot shooter because I can see the rings with a 6X scope- my dot at 50 yards is 1/16" (duh? 1/8" or MOA dot) and fits well within the 10 ring of an IR 50/50 target.
I hope this satisfies the two reponders as well as the knowledge that I can't delete it.
Bob Pekaar

Good job Bob! I thought this had been covered too, but a couple of other fellows ahd asked a similar question since the thread. As for being "absolutely sure" there's no way you can when Leupold dots aren't always the size they say they are. ALways is the key word there. I apologize if I offended anyone, I'm pissed because of the lack of a decent presidential candidate. I know I shouldn't take that out on you fine folks, so I'll discontinue posting in the future.

Don't

discontinue posting in the future.[/QUOTE]
Your posts are almost always thought out well and informative.

Bob,
Thanks. Now, about seeing the scoring rings and that 1/8 minute dot scope you got, I'd like one of those myself. I just have to guess where the 10 ring is! You must have bionic eyes;)
You know, Leupold does make a pretty decent 6X scope, but it could use better glass in my opinion.
When Dick Thomas was at Premier he knew how to get the most out of the Leupold scopes. Good luck with yours.

Bob, not to take offense, but I did read the description you posted on Lee Dot and I still came away a little befuddled. The term MOA is way too complicated for me to understand and I don't even care to understand it because it's not relevant in anything I do; another term I did not know what it meant is subtend, now I know what that means. Anyway, by that time I had already fired off an email to a Leupold tech that had helped me out immensely last year, I thought he blew me off but he did get back to me with my answer. You might want to try to contact him direct; his name is Garth Kendig gkendig@leupold.com good guy, he knows what he's talking about and won't give you the run-around.

Bob, Kent, we're all on the same page, this is good. Thanks, Douglas

Back